sounds, how to synchronise?

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
So chaps bear with me I'm a novice in the sounds dept... So presumably one can record the sounds one wants from the real thing but how does one synchronise the sound with the movement of the model? Also some of the sounds sound so fake, eg a tram bell which should make an audible distinct "clang" but the ones I've heard sound electronically generated and I would not bother with them. But of course there are plenty to digitally record... No doubt it's all here on the forum but I can't find what I need....

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

Sounds are generated by either cams on an axle, which may be able to be fitted or in the case of Bachmann (or Accucraft) locos OR by voltage, which can be a separate circuit to the power for the loco.

The 'sounds' are generally pre--recorded on a chip, that is accessed by the electronic board that the chip is part of, and naturally a speaker is needed to be placed somewhere, it may well be supplied with the board. Is the intended purchase to be used inside or outside, inside could be fixed under the layout, outside can be a waterproof system (or brought in for the winter), on or board, or in a trailing van/coach.

In addition I believe they can also be battery powered but am not certain. The difficulty there will be how to vary the voltage and thus the sound, for that a cam may be needed on an axle, or as above a pickup to receive variable voltage.

LGB have a loco sound tender which is self contained and, I think, picks up its own power from the track.

You don't say what the sounds are to be 'of' is it trams or locos, and if the latter steam or diesel?

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
well I was going to use "real" tram sounds.... That I can easily digitatlly record... Hmmm I'll have to think about it they are so many, flanges squealing brakes hissing gears whining etc and to get it right and not have the audience doubeld over laughing they would have to be in synch.....