dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Could it be from an early LGB Sound Engine?
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would have liked to seen the quality of work on the solder-side of the board..

I think it is possibly form an Oriental 'Train-type' item? - Though I have not seen that variant, and it is quite neat for their cheap-end work.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think the "Sound of Train" text on the end of the board most likely supports Phil's suggestion - sounds distinctly Chinglish to me.... ;)

That, plus the absence of any wires that conform to LGB's typical colour coding, pretty much rules out it being a vintage LGB board.

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
I think the "Sound of Train" text on the end of the board most likely supports Phil's suggestion - sounds distinctly Chinglish to me.... ;)

That, plus the absence of any wires that conform to LGB's typical colour coding, pretty much rules out it being a vintage LGB board.

Jon.
'LGB's typical colour coding'

That would be black, labelled in black, on a black background then?! ;) :D :happy: :happy: :happy:
With apologies to the late-great Douglas Adams.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
'LGB's typical colour coding'

That would be black, labelled in black, on a black background then?! ;) :D :happy: :happy: :happy:
With apologies to the late-great Douglas Adams.

;)

Always appreciate a Douglas Adams quote.... :)

You're quite right for the newer stuff, Phil - I was thinking of their earlier products which did tend to use brown and white for track power, and green and yellow for motor feeds and/or returns.... eg: the lighting boards at each end of an older V51/52 are fed by a brown/white/green loom....

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
As requested by Phil, here is a photo of the back of the board. All looks neatly done to my eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 33

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Humm..
Was hoping there might be more info in the 'etch' on the wiring side..
Quite often, if it is a commercial board, there are part numbers, and the like etched into the board.. The most useful of which can often be an FCC approval number. nothing on this one though by the looks.

Leads me to think it is either Oriental, or a 'cottage industry' board...

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I am hesitant to put power to it and hook up a speaker, not knowing which wires are which. It's nothing I spent a great deal of money on as it came as part of an Ebay purchase.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Well, last night I fooled around with the sound board in question. Using deductive reasoning, I determined which wires to hook up to the power, 9 volt battery, and which ones to the speaker. The deductive reasoning boiled down to looking really closely at the board and finding that of the five wires sticking out of one end, 3 red, 1 black and 1 green, two of red wires were marked on the circuit board + and -. Then looking even closer I found two green wires near the center and to one side, marked B and D. One of these wires was cut off so close that I nearly missed seeing it.

After powering up the whistle sounds and chugging starts. The whistle only sounds at start up. The chugging rate is controlled by one of two potentiometers,. The second potentiometer controls the volume. I was unable to figure out what the remaining wires were for. These would be the two reddish wires on the left in the first photo that are twisted together and look as though they return to the board, but in fact were cut. The black and green wires adjacent to the three red wires are still a mystery.

If anyone wants to experiment with the board they are welcome to it, along with a speaker. The only request is that postage be paid.