Sound Boards

Dsorenson

Registered
1 Apr 2022
AZ
Best answers
Country flag
Newbie ... Hello ..... please forgive briefness, but rushed for time ...

Trying to find out if there are any of the old Sierra Soundtraxx boards for G-Scale ... yes, I've heard the arguments - I run straight DC track power and like their performance.

Can anybody help me out ?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hard to come by... when I need one, I contact the major installers who are often upgrading old installations and taking stuff out.

So RLD, RCS of New England, perhaps TOC if you know him.

Look around for other installers.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you do not have any luck you could go for My Loco Sound which to my ears do American sounds quite well. Both Steam and Diesel though they will not be for a xxdash whatever loco but more generic.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that the MLS Premium steam sound card offers stunning value, certainly at the price it is available at in the UK, but it does not come any where near the fidelity and flexibility of the old Sierra cards. Especially those that Soundtraxx made that are prototype specific, particularly where geared loco types are concerned. e.g. Shay and Climax. I have 4 locos equipped with old Sierra cards, 3 x K-27 and a Climax. I have retained them in my switch from track to battery power (there are issues with operating them in a PWM environment, but they can be overcome).

I have found that, of necessity (to get the fidelity and functions, I have got 3 of the MLS premium cards), I am moving towards a DCC based sound card solution, while converting from track power to battery power. I have settled on German ESU made cards. Their sound project library matches well to the make up of my "fleet" (mostly US 3ft gauge Fn3 scale Accucraft and Bachmann products, Heisler, Mallet, Shay, etc') and they have good availability over here in the UK. Now that I am working with a local installer I'm staring to get my head around DCC, abeight in a battery powered environment, not track power as you are doing,

I know it is not what you are doing, and you are in the US, but casting the net wider for a solution might be something you need to consider. I had to due to the lack of availability of old Sierra and other suitable "DC" compatible makes here to get the results I wanted. I'm sure Greg has some ideas there ;) :) Max

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
if there are any of the old Sierra Soundtraxx boards for G-Scale
Well, they do work on G scale, but as Greg says, they are few and far between these days. I, like maxi, have been using Mylocosound boards instead.