Sound and Smoke

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, any advice on pulsed smoke generators like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRy-CCw16Pk&feature=related < Link To Smoking Mallet

Looking to install something on my next project, a small steam engine, will be able to run with either battery or track power, so looking for a soundcard and smoke unit.

Will i ever learn!!!

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
That Mallet is an MTH product - all MTHs have marvellous synchronised 'smoke'!
It's controlled by MTH's proprietary Protosound system.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
impressive
-i want a smaller version for a stainz!

is this in fact possible to obtain and retro fit both smoke and sound-
and do it all analog?

i imagine its depends on DCC,  full voltage to keep the smoke unit at max temp and the fan too

really makes em come to life -

just amazing and the price is relatively quite low too compared to the old LGB when you compare features and details

just amazing what is now available-i drooled when i say MTH and whatever the Lionel version are that also have all the stuff:

auto uncoupling, light in the cab, firebox, tender, -just like the real deal, and all the sound to go with it all

but ....should something go wrong -i imagine its a big deal

i would imagine that for battery, these will gulp power 

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Doug said:
Ok, any advice on pulsed smoke generators like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRy-CCw16Pk&feature=related < Link To Smoking Mallet

Looking to install something on my next project, a small steam engine, will be able to run with either battery or track power, so looking for a soundcard and smoke unit.

Will i ever learn!!!

Best of luck!!!!! I started trying to get information on pulsed smoke units after seeing one of this guys demo vids.... the closest I've got, for installation in a non-DCC radio controlled - battery powered Bachmann Annie, is the Massoth Pulsed Smoke unit retailing above £70..... still haven't been confident enough to buy one yet though :banghead:

Regards
Rob

Doug

24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
robsmorgan said:
Doug said:

Will i ever learn!!!

Best of luck!!!!! I started trying to get information on pulsed smoke units after seeing one of this guys demo vids.... the closest I've got, for installation in a non-DCC radio controlled - battery powered Bachmann Annie, is the Massoth Pulsed Smoke unit retailing above £70..... still haven't been confident enough to buy one yet though :banghead:

Regards
Rob

Battery pack is around £50, ESC £50, sound unit around £100, so £70 for a smoke unit isn't too bad

Doug

24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I have an old Triang OO loco with their seuthe smoke system in it. It consists of a box with the smoke coil at one end under the outlet that sits under the chimney. The box contains some form of wadding and a piston that is driven from the motor via the worm gear. The piston moves back and forth in time with the loco wheels as it is driven directly by drive motor. As it moves back and forth it pushes the wadding up against the smoke coil creating a puff of smoke.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Doug said:
I have an old Triang OO loco with their seuthe smoke system in it.... creating a puff of smoke.

I.I.R.C. they called it "Synkro Smoke".

Still sounds good terminology today.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
MRail said:
Doug said:
I have an old Triang OO loco with their seuthe smoke system in it.... creating a puff of smoke.

I.I.R.C. they called it "Synkro Smoke".

Still sounds good terminology today.

The small Aristo 0-4-0 has something similar, a tube attached to one of the pistons then to the smoke unit!

Doc R

Hill walking, Boys' Brigade leader, model railways
26 Oct 2009
Best answers