SHUTTLE UNIT & STATION STOP.

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Afternoon All.I am after a bit of help,not being very good with electrics i am not sure what i need to use,i have automatic shuttle unit and a station stop both made by ABC electronics,i know i have to insert diodes at each end of track for shuttle unit and use diodes for station stop,problem is i dont know what diodes to use, i will be using 1amp controllers for both,shuttle track seperate from track where station stop is to be used,i have found in my bits & pieces box a bag full of diodes which are labelled IN4004 diode-rectifier 1A 400v,can i use these or do i need something else.Regards Pete.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Pete
I have had a couple of the ABC shuttles working for about two years and they are very fine as they can handle more than the 1 or 1.5 amps that the LGB or Aristo versions can.
If you are never going to go over 1 amp then the IN4004 will be okay but really, as the shuttle can handle up to 8 amps you should use a higher rated diode such as the Maplins P600A 6amp 35 volt variety. You never know, you may start to use a higher rated power supply!

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike,Thanks for that,i think i will go for the higher rated ones,will order some today.Thanks Once Again,Pete.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all
does the ABC shuttle auto slow the loco before it stops (like the LGB equivalent I believe) or does the loco stop dead once it has crossed the diode?
Although I want to go MTS from the start I would like an analogue line with a shuttle unit for my Rack line.....hence the question.:D
Hope all are well
Kev :clap:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
lgbmad said:
Hi all
does the ABC shuttle auto slow the loco before it stops (like the LGB equivalent I believe) or does the loco stop dead once it has crossed the diode?
Although I want to go MTS from the start I would like an analogue line with a shuttle unit for my Rack line.....hence the question.:D
Hope all are well

If you're going MTS consider running a chipped loco on analogue power for the rack line.
LGB, Massoth and probably other chips may be programmed to cause a loco to slow down, pause and then accelerate in the reverse direction when the track supply reverses polarity.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Neils suggestion of a dcc chipped loco under analogue power is a good one provided that the chip in the loco has the function to be programmed for deceleration and acceleration at station stops.
The ABC shuttle device does not have a function for this but its sister device the 'station stop' one does. The LGB 10340 also has this function but needs more track breaks and extra wiring.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you guys for the info....never thought to run a chipped loco with analogue. Would you happen to know if ABC electronics have their own web site because I cannot seem to find one.
Thank you again

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think that the units are a back bedroom enterprise and the only outlet is ebay.

When running DCC chipped locos on DC do not, if you are using Train Engineer, use PWC, as this may well screw up the decoder!