servos for turnouts

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I agree, but it depends on your weather. I suspect that gregh will be fine with his servos in the relative dry down under. I don't think it would last as long in the UK.

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
korm kormsen said:
did you guys take in count, that there are two different kinds of LGB point-switches?

the older ones with three cableconnectors and the newer epl with two connectors?

What is the difference?

As a guess, the 3 wire uses a common return and DC+ down one of the other 2 as required. The 2 wire just uses reversed DC.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Wobbleboxer said:
korm kormsen said:
did you guys take in count, that there are two different kinds of LGB point-switches?

the older ones with three cableconnectors and the newer epl with two connectors?

What is the difference?

As a guess, the 3 wire uses a common return and DC+ down one of the other 2 as required. The 2 wire just uses reversed DC.
yes, the three wire (older)type used DC - two switches.
the two wire is part of the AC based epl system.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Another way of switching points is with the use of compressed air. It's ultra reliable and nothing much to leave outside to go wrong

4d31781e69ba43a29e621ec61332a09c.jpg

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
bradypus said:
Thought I'd bring this up again after a long pause for thought. I started a thread asking about a circuit for driving servos ( http://www.gscalecentral.net/m27593 )

That's a very 'lateral thinking' solution. Good idea if you have a spare Tx+Rx.

I take it that you couldn't get the 555 timer circuit in the above link to work? If you could, then all you need is two of those circuits instead of the Tx + Rx solution.

While the switch positions in this idea do indicate what position the turnout "should ' be in they aren't true indicators. The blades may be jammed by a rock etc.

I use 2 methods for indicating the true state of the turnouts. The first is a mechanical 'signal'. It's just an arm about 6" long and a bit of fishing line connected to the turnout. I can see it from anywhere I'm standing. Here's one mounted on a fence. It goes horizontal when the turnout is straight.
f7b805cb9c4e47e0937ffec176295203.jpg

The other method is to use LED indicators and micro switches. But in this case the LEDS are at the control panel which is sometimes further away from me than the turnout! And you need an extra 1 or 2 wires from the turnout to the control panel.
527886d0609445039e5039f7b24ef0e4.jpg

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
bradypus said:
Love the compressed air systen, Cliff. A tad expensive for my line, though!

I haven't purchased more bits for the compressed air system recently but when I installed the system I seem to recall it didn't work out any more expensive than using LGB parts.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy uses the air system too I believe? Where do you get the components from? I'm quite interested in the operation.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately the chap that used to sell the complete sysem I used in the States has shut up shop. I think all of the bits are available from other places if you know where. Pneumatic parts from Clippard, the air motor housings from Llagas Creek (or make your own). Brandbright in the UK has some of the parts and may be able to help. You can find out more information on the American forums. I can probably help more if needed.

Someone has started selling another system, I don't know anything about it. Web site is here: http://www.svrronline.com/PneumaticSwitch.html

Hope that helps.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Cliff George said:
Another way of switching points is with the use of compressed air. It's ultra reliable and nothing much to leave outside to go wrong

I see only one pipe, so is it a suck/blow system? What is used for the pipes?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
We seem to be engaging in thread drift here, sorry about that.

Only one air pressure hose is needed. When the air pressure is turned on the actuator extends and opens the point. When the pressure is released an internal spring in the actuator resets the point.

The tubes are flexible UV resistant polyurethane.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Cliff George said:
We seem to be engaging in thread drift here, sorry about that.

Yes likewise, but it's all in a good cause.

:D

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
bradypus said:
Hi Gregh,
I did get the circuit to work eventually (probably not as drawn, I did do a lot of messing about), but it still required the push button/ sprung centre-off switch to prevent stalling the motor. I want to build the system into a couple of scale mechanical-type signal boxes, so need SPCO switches attached to levers.

Sorry, I don't understand the bit about stalling. Can you explain more please?
Your proposal will send the same degree of servo rotation to every turnout won't it? And there will be power all the time so the servo will stall on every turnout
(my idea with the 555 timers has the same drawback.)

BTW the two big drawbacks with servos are:
1. you can no longer easily operate the turnouts by hand. So if you just happen to be near the turnout and want to change it, you have to walk back to the control panel.
2. trains won't 'push' through the turnout as they are locked in place by the servo.

Anyway, good luck. I still like servos!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Just a thought but on today's cars they use a lot of miniature solenoids to control stuff like the petrol flap for instance maybe a cheap source of 12V stuff?

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
bradypus said:
I use Peco points with over centre springs so there only needs to be enough movement on the crank to nudge the blades over centre. Any surplus movement could be taken up by a slotted lost motion link. I did bodge up the spring loaded drive attached using terminal block connectors, but the balanced pendulum lever below it is probably more elegant and allows both hand control (by holding over the lever) and trailing through.

The switches I have for the lever frame are centre off, so in emergency I can cut the power to a servo anyway.
A very elegant operating spring.
I thought the 'C/O' in your original diagram was for changeover, not centre-off.
Have you tried installing this circuit yet? I found that if you have power on a servo and no control signal (as you will have) you get all sorts of funny operation. I originally did this and everything worked fine with my battery power. But I happened to run a track power train and the interference caused the turnout to move randomly. Very disconcerting for turnouts to change as you approach!. I tried all the filtering I could think off with capacitors everywhere and I couldn't fix it. Hence I went to the system where the power and signal are applied/removed together.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
Just a thought but on today's cars they use a lot of miniature solenoids to control stuff like the petrol flap for instance maybe a cheap source of 12V stuff?

I have tried using the larger door locking solenoids, but they take too much current. You need a car battery to operate them.
I must see how big the ones you mention are.

Dtsteam said:
Anyone tried these ? At £2.70 a pop they might save a lot of trouble.
http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1009480 < Link To http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1009480 < Link To http://www.mutr.co.uk/pro...hp?products_id=1009480

They look great and such a cheap price.

Mice 1

C M E Lentil Soup Works Railway
24 Oct 2009
Mid Wales
Best answers
Hi
I have been using the small 9g servos to control the movement of GRS lower quadrant home semaphore signals. I have also used the servos to control scratch built turnouts where the throw has not always been the same.
In each case I have used the Heathcote Electronic Servo Motor Controllers which allow two position settings to be made as well as control of the speed of the servo. Generally I have been very pleased with their operation but initial set up did take time.
Currently I am waiting for two linear servos to arrive from HK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-RC-Timer-D...638210687?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item3f034b5e7f < Link To http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-RC-Timer-D...638210687?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item3f034b5e7f < Link To http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-...mp;hash=item3f034b5e7f). Which I hope will have enough power to control the turnouts.
The signals and turnouts will be on an indoor layout so weather proofing will not be a problem in my case.
Mike

Mice 1

C M E Lentil Soup Works Railway
24 Oct 2009
Mid Wales
Best answers