Scratch Building - Buildings Drawings!!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So I have some foam board and some spare time, so I thought I might have a go at scratch build a line-side feature or even a loco shed, as per rule 8 and my freelance layout anything goes, but can anybody direct me to some drawings to give me a bit of a heat start Ta :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Have a nosey at the Metcalfe offerings.. Lots of ideas there. :):nod::nod:

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Or scalescenes who have downloadable PDFs for OO scale which you could scale up on your computer X3 say.
Railscenes - Scalescenes

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Being 'in the game', I often design as I go. There are many givens, such as a normal door height is 6'6", wall heights 8', 10', 12' etc., roof slopes 15°, etc.etc. in nice round multiples. Get where I'm coming from.
I designed this Engine Shed so I could build it with minimal material, and wastage. The scribed siding came in 24"x3" size. That's 48' by 6' in ½" scale. Stack two pieces, and I've got a bit of raw material, effectively 48'x 12'.
OK, so what about the 'plan'. Well 48' has to be the perimeter of the building, and I've got a height of 12' to play with, i.e. maximum height. So, I sttled on a 10' stud. That's the wall height for the untechnical ones out there. The extra 2 feet was for the peak of the roof. You will see there is a workshop annex to one side, this has a stud of 8', allowing for a 2' roof fall from the 10' wall that ain't there. Oh, we are talking of a Gn15 shed here, but the principles are still the same.

002.JPG

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
So I have some foam board and some spare time, so I thought I might have a go at scratch build a line-side feature or even a loco shed, as per rule 8 and my freelance layout anything goes, but can anybody direct me to some drawings to give me a bit of a heat start Ta :)

Jimmy I have a collection of plans from Garden Railways subscription they are full size pdfs that just print on a standard printer.
Mostly US based stuff but something may be suitable there is a freight station, grain elevator, loading platform and a yard office.
I can email them if you are interested. (email can be supplied via PM)

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
If doing a brick building, make the height of the bricks the same as the height as the screwdriver you use to score/stamp the bricks

It makes things easier and saves having to trim a screwdriver to size or double stamp each joint,from memory 6 or 10mm high for bricks

Also reinforce the joints with any offcuts, it helps make the buildings stronger and more durable

Dan

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy, I made a foam board building earlier this year, the big mistake I made was to copy and scale up from a 4mm building. For some reason the model is made is massive compared to the rest of my kit buildings :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
From a point of view of G Scale Buildings using a Scale Drawing does not always work sue to the elasticiticity of our suppliers ruler. Good rule of thumb is to start with a view of approximate requirements of height base from some pictures of what you want. Plenty of options on the net or in Railway Books if you have them. Then do a rough drawing of what you want freehand if you can. If there is to be any rolling stock entering any of the Buildings Goods Shed, Loco Shed etc ensure that the door will take your largest item of stock and allow some extra for that new bigger purchase. You can use some old Packing Box Card to make a Mockup. Stick this together with Tape and try it out. Then when you go for the real model base on that Drawing it should look ok because it will be.

Reactions: 1 user

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The big problem with garden railway buildings is the weatherproofing. Even though I live in England I have found the sun has caused more damage then the rain but I did use waterproof materials.

Scale of buildings is another issue. The difference between a 1:29 building and a 1:20.5 building is quite significant. Its probably a good idea to build a mock up of the shape of the building using a bit of cardboard to get an idea of what it will look like next to your stock and any other buildings. The last thing I made was to 1:25 scale which is wrong for everything we run on our indoor layout but kind of looks ok with both 1:29 and 1:20.5 stock.

Searching the net can provide information on railway buildings but drawings are unfortunately rare. I found this site Depot and Yard and used the information to build this:-
IMG_3671.JPG

The sides are made from coffee stirrers glued cut and glued into place so isn't suitable for use outside. The tiles for the roof were individually cut out of thin card and glued in place - kept me quiet for a bit. We chose a different finish to the original building but at least we know it is a genuine depot design.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So not quite as much time on my hands this break, managing to get outside and continue, with the layout landscaping. However I did make a start on a build "loosely" based on one of the drawing GAP GAP sent me, progress has been slow, but I have been learning new skills:

View media item 3552

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
So not quite as much time on my hands this break, managing to get outside and continue, with the layout landscaping. However I did make a start on a build "loosely" based on one of the drawing GAP GAP sent me, progress has been slow, but I have been learning new skills:

View media item 3552

Glad to be of help, baby steps for the first few.
"Based on" is how I roll that way nobody can tell me its not "prototypical" because it is the prototype.