Scissors Crossing..with R1 points...60 degree crossing

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Time for Mr Angle Grinder Mike!

But what will be your track spacing, centre to centre, for that configuration....
Bought one from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago for another job.
grinder.jpg
I anticipate track would need to be cut on the red lines to maintain a minimal reverse curve effect. My measurements suggest the centre to centre spacing would be pretty damn close to that obtained when using 2 R3 points. as a facing/trailing junction. At around 5mm wider it would be small enough to not be noticeable. A small insulating cut would be required at the blue marks (to prevent wheel treads shorting out to the other track) as well as removing the brass connecting plates below to isolate the two tracks from each other. Appropriate jumper leads would be needed for the four brass rails forming the central diamond. If I decided to attempt this I would mount the whole thing on a sub base for ease of construction and rigidity.

crossover release2.png

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with that project, looking forward to seeing the finished result, and in case you weren’t aware I’d recommend the super thin 1mm cutting discs as they are ideal for this sort off work

Dan

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Had more thoughts today. Four R5s and a 30 degree crossing would require virtually no work. OK the spacing would increase somewhat, but …...… anyone got any R5s going cheap?

Why, pray, is this page covered with virtual snowflakes?

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Many, many years ago I made one of these for '00' using peco track as a cut & shut job. It looked terrible but it was in the fiddle yard out of sight. It worked perfectly & never let me down.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bought one from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago for another job.
View attachment 246231
I anticipate track would need to be cut on the red lines to maintain a minimal reverse curve effect. My measurements suggest the centre to centre spacing would be pretty damn close to that obtained when using 2 R3 points. as a facing/trailing junction. At around 5mm wider it would be small enough to not be noticeable. A small insulating cut would be required at the blue marks (to prevent wheel treads shorting out to the other track) as well as removing the brass connecting plates below to isolate the two tracks from each other. Appropriate jumper leads would be needed for the four brass rails forming the central diamond. If I decided to attempt this I would mount the whole thing on a sub base for ease of construction and rigidity.

View attachment 246232
Looking at your Red Lines, have you left enough room for Fishplates by the Frogs? Just a little Tip Massoth Track Would work and you can even cut them down a tadge to make use of space use the most efficient. Would also help to keep things stable without any sub base.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at your Red Lines, have you left enough room for Fishplates by the Frogs? Just a little Tip Massoth Track Would work and you can even cut them down a tadge to make use of space use the most efficient. Would also help to keep things stable without any sub base.
Jon my initial thoughts were to remove all the point rail up to the frog and reshape the rail ends of the crossing to fit. Having re-examined the photos of the propriety offering I wonder if I could just cut some straight brass rail and remove segments in a similar manner, giving a continuous piece from point to point. Would save the cost of destroying a crossover and probably much soldering.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon my initial thoughts were to remove all the point rail up to the frog and reshape the rail ends of the crossing to fit. Having re-examined the photos of the propriety offering I wonder if I could just cut some straight brass rail and remove segments in a similar manner, giving a continuous piece from point to point. Would save the cost of destroying a crossover and probably much soldering.
Depending on internal (underneath) power connections that would be a better bet allowing return to original if required.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
How does it look when you connect the crossing to the points ?
With out cutting anything ?
Here you go Sean. Bottom two pictures employ a 22.5 degree crossing for comparison.

crossover release3.png

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Ok Hmmmm .. so Four R5s and a 30 degree crossing would require virtually no work....I think yor right with that.
Thanks for the visual .

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
This would work
111687_50e620a9c67b619ebea9db113a653f0f.png