Saxon Rollwagen, LGB 49180. A review.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The new item from LGB is now available.
As this is a new item from M/LGB and is of a quite unusual item, here is a quick review of what you get.

DSCF2644 (Small).JPG

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Packaged as a pair in one outer carton, you are stuck with buying 2. If this is a good thing or not depends I suppose on what you want. I think one item may look odd but the most common pictures of the originals that I see are of 3s !
DSCF2614 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Anyway - what do you get in the box.
2 rollwagons

DSCF2659 (Small).JPG

3 coupling bars

DSCF2654 (Small).JPG

4 adaptors for 45mm wagons

DSCF2658 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The roll wagons. The main frame and bogies are plastic - one of LGBs usual hard plastics - maybe ABS. The middle bit with the air tanks and brake cylinders is cast metal - similar to diecast cars I guess. Together with metal wheels, this does make the wagons quite heavy - which must be good for stability when you stick a wagon on top.
The side frames of the wagons are set at 63-64mm (guage 3). The wheel chocks flip open (as shown above), slide along the frames and clip back to hold 64mm axles.
The printing on the side of the two wagons is different - not just the running number, It is sharp and well defined.
The wheels are quite small - maybe 15mm over the tread and are heavy compared to LGBs usual metal wheels which are more like metal tyred.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The couplings are very good representations of the originals (accept for the hook adapter - more in a moment) The handles for our scale operators are included.

DSCF2655 (Small).JPG

The wagons have a socket and pin to receive these loops and the pin is retained by a fine chain, so shouldn't get lost!

DSCF2660 (Small).JPG

Back to the coupling adapter, The small black rectangle on one end of the coupling bars fits very well over a standard LGB coupling hook, making a simple and effective coupling to the rest of the train. The only drawback is that a baggage coach was usually trailed by these trains so you could do with 2 of these - one for each end. A bit of bent wire did the trick.

You get one adapter bar and two loop coupling bars in the set.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
On to the adaptors. This is a compromise and I thought - why? Having said that, I have used them already.
Obviously, rollwagons are for carrying wider gauged stock but most of us don't have any (Yet!). The adapters slide on to the side frames and carry standard, 45mm gauge, LGB stock by their axles. It's a bodge, and it works,
DSCF2657 (Small).JPG
DSCF2650 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So, That's about it. Typical LGB? - maybe not. They seem well made, are heavy, have a lot of fine detail and definitely look the part. I didn't get the ruler out and start checking things - mainly because I did not feel the need. I do think Marklin/LGB are upping the game in detail but at these prices I suppose they should be. Talking of price - I got what I expected. You take it or leave it, one thing for sure, new G Scale ain't getting any cheaper.
I used Modelbahn-lippe for a good price and I am aware of one UK dealer at £280.

DSCF2643 (Small).JPG

DSCF2645 (Small).JPG

Reactions: 2 users

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
and they do R1's
DSCF2663 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Recommended?
If you like this sort of thing - definitely.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that, just for info it's pretty easy to drop 64mm wheels from GRS into LGB wagons without damage. I've regauged the Harz fire tanker and one of the big four wheel opens to use on rollbocke.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that, just for info it's pretty easy to drop 64mm wheels from GRS into LGB wagons without damage. I've regauged the Harz fire tanker and one of the big four wheel opens to use on rollbocke.

How does that work, Paul, given that the distance between the axle holders on an LGB wheel carrier/bogie is about 57-58mm at most? A couple of pics of what you've done would be very useful!

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You loose the twisting wheel carriers Jon - just use the outer axle boxes

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
How does that work, Paul, given that the distance between the axle holders on an LGB wheel carrier/bogie is about 57-58mm at most? A couple of pics of what you've done would be very useful!

Jon.
I have done a couple of Piko Wagons and one LGB one, will do some pics of the wheels. All 3 had SG Type Buffers so are a good option. Some of the LGB Big Swiss Wagons have a Buffer Beam soare with SG Buffers and it was one of these Opens that I first had.

Thanks for the review Alan.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_5286.JPG IMG_5287.JPG Yes just take out the swinging units and trim off the metal axle ends with a slitting disc. The wire holds the axle in and no damage to the LGB axlebox.

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul, very handy to know!

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul, very handy to know!

Jon.
My LGB Open Wagon.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
A few of the LGB Wagons including some Swiss Ones have Double Buffer that work fine with adjusted wheelset as I show above. No costly replacements required!

Below a Piko Open has had the same treatment. Many of the Piko Wagons that have Double Buffers will work just fine. I have a Bogie Open that awaits adjustment to the wheels, this will sit over two Rollwagens. A common thing seen where these Rollwagens are used.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Note that I do not expect my conversions to run on any line, just be piggy backed on Rollwagens. Though what I have done is completely reversible.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I only went for the "costly", not that bad ;) , replacement because I wanted the bigger diameter wheels as they made them look more SG to me. I did consider doing it with discs of plastic but the weight low down seemed like a good idea :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I only went for the "costly", not that bad ;) , replacement because I wanted the bigger diameter wheels as they made them look more SG to me. I did consider doing it with discs of plastic but the weight low down seemed like a good idea :)
I looked at that option but could not be bothered to do the trip to Princes Ris and was not sure that it would have worked. Clearly it did. I guess I also wanted a quick fix and shoving out the smaller wheels worked in that regard. Perhaps next time I do a Gauge 3 gig I may look for some larger wheels.