Running Sierra sound with lithium ion???

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know why the Sierra is overheating??
I suspect it is the PWM motor feed. There are lots of reports of sound cards not liking PWM, as it is full-voltage but switched on-off rapidly, thus producing pulses to the motor.
You can also get a PWM to regular DC conversion module, I believe.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sierras indeed do not like pwm, definitely for "motor speed"

There are specific circuits to avoid issues, the typical symptom is sound does not follow actual speed.

So you have 2 issues:

Cannot run the Sierra over 12 volts
Need to "process" the motor "signal" for voltage and isolation from the too high track voltage, thus too high motor voltage.

email me and I will send you the technical notes you need.

It's not simple.

Greg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I went back over what you said and talked to a buddy.

You have some conceptual missteps.

sierra_schematic_battery.jpg

1. if you have a battery as you say, it goes into pins 4 and 2.... the battery directly to 4 and 2, as in the schematic above.
2. if your battery is over 12 volts, then you need to reduce it, again as in the schematic above, U1 is the regulator to drop the voltage.
3. you indicate you are feeding the circuit with the Revolution motor outputs WRONG!!!!
4. you indicate you are feeding the Revolution motor outputs to a buck converter WRONG!!! you cannot feed a DC regulator PWM!!!!

Battery >> buck converter (output 12v or less) >>> pins 4 (positive) and pin 2 (negative)
chuff contacts to pins 11 and 12

Change anything and it won't work... if you use autochuff you need the opto isolator

Read my page on the chuff contacts in the shay, they are crap.

Sierra page:

Shay page:

Greg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Paul you might give Tony Walsham a try here Remote Control Systems - RCS Australia
While I understand he has had some health problems, in the recent past, his website is still active and he has started listing rc/battery options again. He supplied me 2-3 years ago a device, the SSI-9, that was specifically conceived to deal with the issues you are encountering i.e. it " smoothes out" an ESC's PWM output and has a separate circuit that acts as a voltage regulator. Only problem is they are out of production now but Tony might be able to advise you of their construction.

Below is a picture of a device with the same purpose(s), fitted to my Accucraft K-27, that has an ECU outputting PWM and a Sierra card. It was made for me by a fellow forumite John Scanlon (johnS) Sadly he does not appear on here any more. The detail may be sufficient for you to identify it's components. Board described is top right of image, inputs on this board - top right from battery (looks like a buck to me) bottom right from ESC. Outputs, corresponding on left of board, both go to Sierra from ESC to 7&8, the others are to the battery connected volume switch and ground. There is another config' where the volume switch is eliminated which I have used on other Sierra installations with battery. Hope this information adds something. Max

IMG_20221208_104305_167.jpg

Last edited:

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A "buck converter" would be you best bet.
This one is adjustable and take wide range of input voltages.

hi visiting this topic again??
i have made up 3 cell lithium ion packs to run with my sierra sound boards, am i correct in saying that i can remove my 6v NiCad's to power the sierra board ,and run the sound board from my 11.5 lithium ion pack to pins 2 and pin 4 on the sierra board????advice appreciated here please.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
You do not need the opto isolater circuit if you run the chuff cam, as Paul indicated.

Paul, can you answer the questions I raised?

Greg
hi visiting this topic again??
i have made up 3 cell lithium ion packs to run with my sierra sound boards, am i correct in saying that i can remove my 6v NiCad's to power the sierra board ,and run the sound board from my 11.5 lithium ion pack to pins 2 and pin 4 on the sierra board????advice appreciated here please.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, post #23 answers this..

A freshly-charged 3S pack is a little over 12V, but I don't believe this will be a problem for your application?

PhilP

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, post #23 answers this..

A freshly-charged 3S pack is a little over 12V, but I don't believe this will be a problem for your application?

PhilP
hi philp thanks for reply ,,do you have any experience using the Revolution receivers?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
hi philp thanks for reply ,,do you have any experience using the Revolution receivers?
You can find some of my notes re these that I have fitted in the battery threads.