Running MFX equipped loco on old MTS 2 parallel control system - limitations?

Halcyon

Registered
9 Mar 2016
Northern Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I don't seem to be able to get a straight answer to this one from sellers and I don't want to buy an MFX equipped loco and find it has fewer options than my LGB/Massoth equipped locos. I will eventually change my now old MTS 2p for Massoth Dimax, but meanwhile: -

1) Is the only problem that modern driving/sound decoders like MFX have more than ten (0 -9) functions available to control sounds, so that on MTS you can only access those on 0 to 9 and nothing 10 and above?

2) Are there any differences in driving the MFX loco on the old 14 speed step MTS system, other than this restriction?

3) can the MFX system be interrogated via a test track, PC interface and Massoth Service program on a laptop as all LGB and Massoth decoders can?

Any information gratefully received.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
1) Is the only problem that modern driving/sound decoders like MFX have more than ten (0 -9) functions available to control sounds, so that on MTS you can only access those on 0 to 9 and nothing 10 and above?

That is correct.

2) Are there any differences in driving the MFX loco on the old 14 speed step MTS system, other than this restriction?

You will need to tell the decoder to use DCC and 14 speed-steps.
As with sounds, if any functions are controlled by a key above '9', then you will not be able to control them.

3) can the MFX system be interrogated via a test track, PC interface and Massoth Service program on a laptop as all LGB and Massoth decoders can?

Yes.

Halcyon

Registered
9 Mar 2016
Northern Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your answers Phil; very helpful. Richard.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Marklin ships the MFX decoders with the following priority:
Looks for mfx first
DCC second
DC third.
If you do not have a Marklin controller then turn off MFX!! If you have pure DC it will be ok. If you have pulsed power the decoder may not sync to any of the 3 states.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Additional question, what about programming the decoder once the DCC protocol has been recognised? Specifically is there an equivalent to the Massoth Service Tool that can be used? I am assuming here that the MST only works with Massoth and LGB decoders.