Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,
I think I have read somewhere that I can run one analogue engine (in my case it will be a tram!!) from the LGB 55005 Central Station, at the same time as normal DCC operation.
Is this so? If it is, how do you control the analogue item, can it be done with the same controller as used for DCC in this case a wireless 55015.
The project is to have a seperate track section running to and from the main station with a tram shuttling back and forth using the module LGB make for this purpose, (forgotten the number) has anyone got one to sell?

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Simple yes you can, just press 00 i think.. and it should work :clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Mike. Select 0, as stated above.
BUT - LGB motors seem fine with this, indeed LGB state that you can do it.
Piko do not, they say fit a decoder and then you can run on digital. Mike had trouble with his Piko railbus motors after a fair bit of analogue running on digital.
As for other makes - I dont know - it depends I suppose on how good thier motors are.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
While my digital track is not connected as yet (only a few days to go), I also have a LGB shuttle (#10340). Not knowing compatability of the shuttle with digital power, I separated the shuttle track with a one metre isolated section of track (shuttle is on a very long siding). When shuttle ops required then the isolated track is 'activated' and thus the siding is not able to receive digital power.

When the 'shuttle' siding is to be used with digital power, the isolating switches are thrown and power is available to the siding. To electrically protect the shuttle unit, I power the unit directly with analogue power (not through rail pickups) and power the track shuttle output power through the 'active' terminals on a relay. When analogue power is applied to the shuttle unit, the power also closes the relay thus allowing shuttle output power to the rails. Thus one can see that with digital power only applied, the relay is unpowered and so there is no digital input into the shuttle unit.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky monkey: There is no reason for using an analog shuttle unit on a digital layout, and it is never recommended. Many of those who have tried, has come to regret it. LGB( Massoth) makes a braking module to manage all types of shuttle operations on a digital layout.

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
As my power supply is digital, then LGB 10330 and 10340 can not be used as I understand they are only for analogue power. Is there a bit of kit that will do the same job and work with a digital power supply?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mike Bett said:
As my power supply is digital, then LGB 10330 and 10340 can not be used as I understand they are only for analogue power. Is there a bit of kit that will do the same job and work with a digital power supply?
Your power supply/transformer, which I assume is an LGB 50110, can be used for either digital or analogue.

Thus it can provide power for the 10330/10340 units as well as your LGB 55005 MTS system....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mike Bett said:
Hi All,
I think I have read somewhere that I can run one analogue engine (in my case it will be a tram!!) from the LGB 55005 Central Station, at the same time as normal DCC operation.
Is this so? If it is, how do you control the analogue item, can it be done with the same controller as used for DCC in this case a wireless 55015.
The project is to have a seperate track section running to and from the main station with a tram shuttling back and forth using the module LGB make for this purpose, (forgotten the number) has anyone got one to sell?

Having re-read this posting, I think that you are planning to run your tram using a 10330/10340 shuttle on a separate track, isolated from your main MTS controlled line.

Is this correct Mike?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Mike Bett said:
Your power supply/transformer, which I assume is an LGB 50110, can be used for either digital or analogue.

Thus it can provide power for the 10330/10340 units as well as your LGB 55005 MTS system....
I see what you are saying Gizzy and yes it should work.
BUT - any conflict, such as running a train across an isolated section (between analogue and digi) could wreck a great deal of expensive kit. I would not think it worth the risk.
The digi system will control shuttle sets ups with out the risk.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Gizzy said:
Mike Bett said:

I see what you are saying Gizzy and yes it should work.
BUT - any conflict, such as running a train across an isolated section (between analogue and digi) could wreck a great deal of expensive kit. I would not think it worth the risk.
The digi system will control shuttle sets ups with out the risk.

I've PM'ed Mike with my 'phone number to find out exactly what he wants to do.

I don't know if the LGB 55005 MTS 2 unit Mike has can be configured as a shuttle and I'm researching it at this very moment....

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
If I am reading this correctly, you want to use a non digital loco on analogue using the 55005 base station.
The analogue is not a true analogue but is superimposed on the digital signal AC.
Like Mohammed says do not be tempted to use an analogue shuttle.
Also on the base station there are reset and 0-22 buttons you have to press these so that the orange LED is lit and then the 0 on the handset will control the analogue loco

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey: I can even think of a reason for having a mixed analog-digital system, it is definitely reckless, and costly.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I wasn't able to contact Mike last night, but this is his situation as I see it.

He has an MTS 2 system, which comprises of a LGB 50110 Power Supply Unit, a LGB 55005 Central Station and a LGB 55015 Universal Remote. He also has the Transmitter module LGB 55045 and Receiver Module LGB 55055, in fact, an identical set up as my own.

AFAIK, there is no way to configure this set up to run a shuttle.
(I am aware though, that this can be done with the Massoth 1200Z unit. )

Now, if Mike wants to set up a separate track, isolated from his main circuit, just for his analogue tram, he can do this with a LGB 10330 or 10340 shuttle. The question is now, where can he get the power to do this?

As has been rightly pointed out, he cannot power the shuttle from the 55005 Central Station, as this is a digital unit.

However, he could connect the shuttle to the spare terminals of the 50110 Power Supply. As long as his shuttle track is separate and electrically disconnected from his digital track, then there will be no problems.

What I would suggest to Mike though, is that it would be much better for him to buy a cheap LGB 50080 1A Transformer (as used in the LGB Train Sets), and power the LGB 10330/10340 shuttle using this. It has the added advantage that one can set the speed for the tram required using this transformer, something which can't be done using the LGB 50110.

I reiterate though, that the analogue shuttle track and digital track must be kept electrically separate and never connected together!

Mike, I've PM'ed you my 'phone number if you need help. I'm not the easiest person to call as I'm frequently out and about, but you might catch me in. Otherwise, leave me a message as to when and where I can call you back....

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Yes that was the origonal plan - but I am open to all advice - no reason not to run off the central station, but i understand that the 10340 shuttle kit is only for analogue operation.
By the way I am easily confused and this looks like another occasion!!!

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gizzy and all who have contributed - I have sent A PM to Gizzy with my phone number.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
As explained in my original posting, I power the #10340 shuttle unit using analogue DC power. The power supply also powers two relays (one for each polarity) to which the shuttle track output is connected to the 'active' terminal on each relay. When analogue power is supplied to the shuttle, the relays are powered and thus close the 'active' terminals allowing output power to the rails.

If the shuttle track was ever connected to the main track (DCC) power at any time when not using analogue power on the shuttle circuit, then the open relay contacts would protect the shuttle unit.

A further sophistication is to provide a siding at one end of the shuttle, controlled by a LGB switch machine with accessory microswitch pack. thus two locomotives could be placed on the sidings and depending on the switch direction selected, that particular locomotive would traverse the shuttle. This adds variety to the shuttle.

Also, if the shuttle circuit was ever actually physically connected to the main track rails (as I have), then the DCC power supply to the siding/shuttle could be fed through the 'relaxed' contacts of two relays (one for each polarity). With no analogue power to the shuttle then the shuttle/siding would operate as a normal DCC powered siding. If analogue power was supplied to the shuttle then the analogue DC power would activate the relays and open the relaxed contacts thus severing main track DCC power from the shuttle. Removing analogue DC power would allow the relays to relax and thus DCC power would be restored to the shuttle/siding track.