Rodgers 2-4-2 respray..

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Went to my first train show the other day. It was amazing. Got some great deals. One was this rea Rodgers 2-4-2 for $40.00 . I heard there are no parts for these anymore. But it runs great and for the price it's great. The red was very toy like and at night you could see the light in the cab through the red plastic. So everything that was red is now black. Now i just need to find a tender for it or bash something together.. IMG_20180317_225725672_HDR.jpg IMG_20180318_112904395_HDR.jpg IMG_20180321_093056410.jpg IMG_20180321_093056410.jpg IMG_20180321_093056410.jpg IMG_20180321_093102494.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That's a neat paint job. Hope you have luck with finding a tender.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Transformed - nice one.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
'Snice - the Rogers is a nice little (or not so little) loco. Aristo used the same tender for the 0-4-0 switcher, but a non-slope back would look good, and different.

Oh, I didn't repaint mine, just tarted it up a bit as the saddle tanks had been badly treated where someone removed the Pennsy decals - I think the tender must have come from a Christmas version, because I haven't re-painted the gold trucks.

DSCF0538.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Nice masking job, you had a great result.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
'Snice - the Rogers is a nice little (or not so little) loco. Aristo used the same tender for the 0-4-0 switcher, but a non-slope back would look good, and different.

Oh, I didn't repaint mine, just tarted it up a bit as the saddle tanks had been badly treated where someone removed the Pennsy decals - I think the tender must have come from a Christmas version, because I haven't re-painted the gold trucks.

View attachment 234826
Nice looking picture . I have been wanting one of these loco's for awhile. Love the low photography very realistic..

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Nice masking job, you had a great result.
Thanks. I was debating on whether to keep the gold around the windows. But i have decided not to weather this engine. I think i like it looking well maintained.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice looking picture . I have been wanting one of these loco's for awhile. Love the low photography very realistic..
Ah, my photographic reputation is usually pretty rubbish - I was lucky with that shot.

I have long had a bit of a thing for the Rogers 2-4-2, ever since I received an Aristo catalogue with my first delivery of track. I managed to buy this one second hand, and although I bought it with the 'sound' tender, they were not originally a pair.

Still debating what to do about the sound, as it sounds something like a dying crow...............o_O

But they're smart little locos, and the black and grey looks rather good :clap::clap::clap:

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I too have a thing for these loco's. This one is missing the lights on the front. eBay wants $30.00 for the lights i only paid $40 for the whole thing. I oiled it up but i need to get inside and check the gears but don't really see how you get into it from the bottom..any ideas on this? And i think i i would like to have a regular tender not the sloped one. Not sure yet. The sloped tenders are as much as the engine..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I too have a thing for these loco's. This one is missing the lights on the front. eBay wants $30.00 for the lights i only paid $40 for the whole thing. I oiled it up but i need to get inside and check the gears but don't really see how you get into it from the bottom..any ideas on this? And i think i i would like to have a regular tender not the sloped one. Not sure yet. The sloped tenders are as much as the engine..
No, I've never had to venture inside the mechanical bits, although it was quite exciting removing the saddle tank.
Each driving axle has its own gearbox and motor, and each driving axle rocks from side to side on a pivot.

I think if your remove the front and rear pony trucks, all will be revealed.......................in time :devil::devil:

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
Went to my first train show the other day. It was amazing. Got some great deals. One was this rea Rodgers 2-4-2 for $40.00 . I heard there are no parts for these anymore. But it runs great and for the price it's great. The red was very toy like and at night you could see the light in the cab through the red plastic. So everything that was red is now black. Now i just need to find a tender for it or bash something together.. View attachment 234815 View attachment 234816 View attachment 234817 View attachment 234817 View attachment 234817 View attachment 234818
Lovely paint scheme

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
The Rogers is one of my favorite Locomotives performance wise.
I have 2 locos and 2 spare motor assemblies.
As old as these are, other than lube the pilot trucks, no maintenance has been required.
A good reference for these machines is http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/rogers_tips.html

Reactions: 2 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
The Rogers is one of my favorite Locomotives performance wise.
I have 2 locos and 2 spare motor assemblies.
As old as these are, other than lube the pilot trucks, no maintenance has been required.
A good reference for these machines is http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/rogers_tips.html
Thanks for the info. Great article. Maybe i don't really need a tender. It says that some carried there own coal and water.. thanks for sharing.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
I would love to see more pictures of any of this loco that you all might have..

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have any photos of mine in service as my line has been taken up, but here's my old REA Rogers. DCC fitted and which I used to run with a plain black slopeback tender from Aristocraft's later production. I think it looks better with the tender which also gives a simple chuff sound. I fitted a wiring connector between loco and tender to spread the pickups.

If these locos ran without tenders, where was the coal or wood carried? I don't see anywhere obvious, which is another reason I prefer it with the tender.

I'm pretty sure I've re-sprayed the saddle tank at some point, I don't think it was plain black when first bought (2nd hand).
IMG_0825.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The Rogers came in two types, one with slope back tender and one with no tender. The tender one has a cab roof that hangs back further. Jack44's one is an early model without tender which I think was under the REA brand name. It has chrome plated wheels but later ones from Aristocraft had blackened wheels which I think tend to crud up more. The drives are interesting because each axle has it's own motor and gearbox therefore a good source for making frames with different axle spacing.

I'm not sure where they carried the wood or coal, I suspect it would be in a rear bunker. Some were used in short shuttle railways running in reverse therefore didn't need a a large fuel load.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
...The tender one has a cab roof that hangs back further. Jack44's one is an early model without tender which I think was under the REA brand name.
Ah yes, didn't notice that the rear of the cab roof is different on mine. Mine still came in an REA box though, and the generic photo on the box shows the extended cab roof like mine, rather than like Jack's model.
IMG_0829.JPG

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have any photos of mine in service as my line has been taken up, but here's my old REA Rogers. DCC fitted and which I used to run with a plain black slopeback tender from Aristocraft's later production. I think it looks better with the tender which also gives a simple chuff sound. I fitted a wiring connector between loco and tender to spread the pickups.

If these locos ran without tenders, where was the coal or wood carried? I don't see anywhere obvious, which is another reason I prefer it with the tender.

I'm pretty sure I've re-sprayed the saddle tank at some point, I don't think it was plain black when first bought (2nd hand).
View attachment 234891
That is a great looking engine. I thought that too about where do they put the fuel. I have a couple tenders i might bash or try to pick up one somewhere. I do think it should have a tender... thanks for sharing your picture..

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Ah yes, didn't notice that the rear of the cab roof is different on mine. Mine still came in an REA box though, and the generic photo on the box shows the extended cab roof like mine, rather than like Jack's model.
View attachment 234893
Yes mine came in this same box but doesn't match the picture.