RHT track layout: need opinions

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Hi Henri! I feel that the second option you've posted may give some more interesting operational possibilities. But, that depends on what kind of operator you are. Do you want to set the train and just watch it run round and round, or run shunting operations and station stops? This is why I am going a little overboard with my yard (for the size of my RR) - I like the idea of spending time actually building trains and shunting rolling stock around. But, if you're just into letting the train run, perhaps the first post would be best.

Reactions: 1 user

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I feel the same way. Well, perhaps the second option. You have one passing siding along with the mainline then the two spurs. That would allow for a bit of operations, at least.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I tend to agree.... although the first option with three passing tracks would allow you to have three trains made up and running in turn, the second option would allow you to shunt a bit and park up some stock on the two sidings....
So probably the second one just has the edge!

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think option 1 with the 3 loops looks very good but I think I would also like to see some sidings, 1 on each of the outer passing loops would work very well. But it would need a little baseboard work and of course 2 more points. If these are not an option just now perhaps you have some R1 points that you could sell to fubd them? Or just get the 2 you would need as you can afford them.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My only comment is to make sidings, and loops, as long as you can..
Funny how stock increases to fill any extra capacity! ;):nod::nod:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
My only comment is to make sidings, and loops, as long as you can..
Funny how stock increases to fill any extra capacity! ;):nod::nod:
Phil's right. Actually, now that I look at it, I think I'd probably only fit my Forney + 1 (maybe 2) coaches on all of those sidings.