RhB flatiron - Lights and sound control problem

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, hopefully someone can help with this - one of the locos I've just sold on the forum, the LGB RhB "flatiron" electric, went to Les (Dinas Bryn) - it was all working fine last time I ran it, but Les is having some problems getting the lights and sound to work. The loco is factory-fitted with MTS (presumably a standard LGB onboard loco decoder, though I never looked inside), and the chap I bought it from had fitted it with an LGB "black box" sound module. While I had it, I never ran the loco for more than a couple of test laps of a temporary track, but when I did that everything worked perfectly under MTS 2 (parallel) control.
This is what Les wrote to me today (quoted with his permission):

"my is MTS2 paralled, if the flat iron is NOT I put in something is it 9/2, I know when Paul came over he put in something on another loco. What is happening is
1 putting power to track the sound starts up(like the diesel) then closes down as prototyte when not in use, but when the loco is needed I get no sound, on steamers I press 8 to turn sound on or off, I can't get sound unless I turn mains off, I don't like just pressing numbers,
2 with all my LGB locos I press 9 for light on or off
The loco works fine, any ideas ? Les"

Anyone got any ideas why Les is having this trouble? His control setup appears to be exactly the same as the one I ran the loco with. Hopefully Les will be reading this tomorrow and will be able to answer any other questions about what he's tried - I'm stumped, because I thought everything was working fine.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jon.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I came across this problem with on of Gizzys loco's Loco would run but the sound wouldn't work with it. He'd re-programmed the loco with an MTS unit.
Has Les re-programmed the loco to another number? I have noticed in the past that when a loco is re-programmed with the MTS system, it will set the loco address but it will not set the LGB sound unit at the same time. I think you'll find that you have to open the loco, disconnect the sound unit, and connect the sound unit only to the programming track, then set the sound unit to the same address as the loco.
To check, why not return the loco (before doing any of the above) to it's original address, then the sound should work.
If you know anyone with a Massoth setup, get them to program the loco using CV1 and not loco address as the loco address will only set the loco CV1 will set both at once.
So to recap, with the LGB MTS system, you have to program units individually but with Massoth you can do both at once.
Hope this helps

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the response, Steve - Les, over to you?

Though having said that, I'm sure that when I was using my MTS2, I have programmed addresses in locos fitted with LGB 65xxx sound units and both the loco decoder AND the sound unit have accepted the new address. The only thing I can think of that MAY be slightly different is that in those cases I was programming the address "on the main" (POM) using just a basic MTS loco remote, rather than a universal remote on a programming track - could that make any difference?
Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My guess, is that there may be a slightly loose connection.

Quite possibly occuring when the loco was in transit with the delivery service.

I suggest checking all screw connections are tight and all plug connections re-secured. Might also be worth ensuring all the lamps are fully home too....

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Thanks for your help no I have NOT remunbered the loco, as far as taking it apart my friends in the NW would rather me put it in the bin as my sight and hands don't work to-gether and I would end up with a lot of loose bits Les

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
This sounds just like the problem that Gizzy was having with his V52, the loco would move but the sound would not respond. Once reprogrammed with the Massoth all was fine. I just have a feeling that this is the same problem.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
bigjack said:
This sounds just like the problem that Gizzy was having with his V52, the loco would move but the sound would not respond. Once reprogrammed with the Massoth all was fine. I just have a feeling that this is the same problem.

Just re-read this and I think you may be right Steve.

Select the loco on the handset; Les doesn't say what the address is.

Lights are switched off/on by pressing 0, sound can be switched off/on by pressing 8, (as I found out by trial and error yesterday!). Horn is on 1 and motor start up/shut down is 6. These are the settings on my LGB MTS fitted V52. (I have a V51 fitted with an MRC decoder and the buttons have different functions in this case.)

If the sound isn't working but the lights are, it suggests that the sound unit is on a different address as Steve has surmised. Try loco default address 3 (or any other address) and see if the sound works on that....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Sound on/off may well be on 6. That seems to be the default on my Massoth chips.

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Sound is usual, 6 or 7 on most locos with sound...

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If its a LGB add on sound unit:

[size=12pt]
65002​
European Diesel Sound Unit​
[/size]
[size=12pt]
1: Horn​
2: Brake sound​
3: Bell​
4: Conductor announcement: ?Bitte​
einsteigen!? (All aboard, please!)​
5: Air compressor​
6: Diesel engine off/on​
7: Safety valve​
8: Sound off/on
[/size]

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It's a 65004 Euro electric unit, Mark, but the basic functions should be the same albeit with slightly different sounds. As I said earlier, it all worked fine for me on my old MTS2 setup, I can't figure out why Les is having trouble on his..... :wits:

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,
Sorry, I cut the wrong bit out of the manual....

[size=12pt][size=12pt][size=12pt]
65004 European Electric Loco​
Sound Unit​
[/size][size=12pt]
1: Whistle​
2: Brake sound​
3: Pantograph sound​
4: Conductor announcement: ?Bitte​
einsteigen!? (All aboard, please!)​
5: Air compressor sound​
6: Turning off the loco: Main fan off,​
vacuum pump, main switch
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[size=12pt][/size]
7: Not used​
8: Sound off/on

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Morning I have tried everything you say, all worked apart from 8 stop and start, as stated before track power on sound after close down no sound unless power is cut off and 9 no lights Les

AshleyH

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I had exactly this problem when running a Ge 4/4 II with factory fitted sound at an exhibition the other week. Once the sound went all that would bring it back was a full power down of the DCC system.

I was using a Roco Multimaus system coupled to a Bachmann 5 Amp Booster. Apparently the said loco works just fine on an MTS II system. Just thinking out loud here, I was wondering at the time if it a serial/ parallel thing. The Ge 4/4 II was of the latest full parallel spec. I would think that the LGB Ge 2/4 that Les has is also a full parallel control board. But has the onboard MTS been set to serial?

Maybe try a full decoder reset?

Just my two pennys worth.....

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Afernoon my MTS is parall and I think the loco is the same Les