Revell bus build so far.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well at last I am calling this done and the thread went all over the place but the build turned out quite well and overall pleased with it although run out of silver paint for a little touch up in places such as the treads on the wing at the front,great kit and would recommend it but IMO it needs a crew figures that would finish it off but that's my only little moan.I was surprised that the handrails up the stairs went together very well as all sorts of shapes and a few problems with the decals but overcame those,,,,,fares please,,,,,,,,IMG_20210217_061622.jpgIMG_20210217_061643.jpgIMG_20210217_061819.jpgIMG_20210217_063201.jpgIMG_20210217_061846.jpgIMG_20210217_063235.jpg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Nice build. Ah yes, the Victoria Palace theatre. Right opposite the end of the road I grew up in, Carlisle Place. It was next door to the Lyons tea house where my mother used to buy me my Maryland cookies. I remember it in the '60's that "The Black and White Minstrel Show" and Max Bygraves had a seemingly permanent residencies there. Not to be confused with the "New Victoria" theatre, that was a cinema, that eventually morphed into an actual live performance theatre and became the home of "The Starlight Express" show. Not forgetting the miniature houses of parliament clock tower, Little Ben, that sat in the middle of the traffic island at the confluence of Victoria Street and Vauxhall bridge Rd. All features on my daily trip to and from school, Then there was the cartoon cinema by platform 17 in Victoria Station...........................

littleben1900.jpg

I'm not that old :D But here's a picture of "Little Ben" with a precursor to the RM passing by. There was still a municipal water trough for horse situated there in the '60's.

All this nostalgia and thread drift from one small poster on the corner of a model bus :) Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Neil's bus build has taken us back into a utopia of nostalgia - partly as a result of the accuracy: the colour of the wheels, the colour and detail of the interior have all evoked memories for me, plus the routes that the buses travelled.

Neil's no 76 was one of the routes I could take when I first worked for Laing in London at the Elephant and Castle, and decided to take the bus rather than the tube from Waterloo to the New Kent Road or the Walworth Road.

The site that I was working on in the early 70s, the Heygate development, has since been demolished, allowing me membership of The Rubble Club :rolleyes::rolleyes:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sadly some of us have never travelled on a bus in London. My first trip through London was at age 16, with a coach to Victoria Coach Station, and on to a Train at Victoria. My next visits were at 21, when visiting my girl friend (now Mrs B) in Northholt, but again no buses, and so this continues without buses :(

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Nice build. Ah yes, the Victoria Palace theatre. Right opposite the end of the road I grew up in, Carlisle Place. It was next door to the Lyons tea house where my mother used to buy me my Maryland cookies. I remember it in the '60's that "The Black and White Minstrel Show" and Max Bygraves had a seemingly permanent residencies there. Not to be confused with the "New Victoria" theatre, that was a cinema, that eventually morphed into an actual live performance theatre and became the home of "The Starlight Express" show. Not forgetting the miniature houses of parliament clock tower, Little Ben, that sat in the middle of the traffic island at the confluence of Victoria Street and Vauxhall bridge Rd. All features on my daily trip to and from school, Then there was the cartoon cinema by platform 17 in Victoria Station...........................

View attachment 280796

I'm not that old :D But here's a picture of "Little Ben" with a precursor to the RM passing by. There was still a municipal water trough for horse situated there in the '60's.

All this nostalgia and thread drift from one small poster on the corner of a model bus :) Max

I was in the Victoria Palace watching Carry On London, a live show by all of the crowd from the Carry On Films, the night the IRA bombed the pub opposite the stage door. It was only a couple of ounces of Semtex left on a window sill of the building on the opposite side of the street, but the whole theatre shook. Barbara Windsor was on full throttle doing a big brassy number, strutting along a catwalk between the orchestra pit and the audience, when the bomb went off. There was a gasp from the audience, the orchestra ground to a halt and Barbara Windsor stood there holding her chest (yes it was a two handed job). She said 'Aw my Gawd, I know what that was, you'll let me out first won't you', to much applause. The stage manager walked out with a police message for anyone who had parked their cars in certain streets to please go and make themselves known to the police control point. The orchestra then struck up and Barbara Windsor carried on with her bouncy number as if nothing had happened. Needless to say she received a standing ovation as the song finished.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Sadly some of us have never travelled on a bus in London. My first trip through London was at age 16, with a coach to Victoria Coach Station, and on to a Train at Victoria. My next visits were at 21, when visiting my girl friend (now Mrs B) in Northholt, but again no buses, and so this continues without buses :(
When I worked for the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham in more recent years, my boss had an encyclopaedic knowledge of bus routes and so she went everywhere by bus while I, who had played the London Game for years with my kids, would take the Tube.

On one occasion when the Tube was closed, I hopped on a bus going in what I hoped was the right direction, then rang her, told her the number of the bus that I was on, and asked her where I needed to get off!

I arrived at the meeting on time ;););)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the positive feedback and I`m glad that this thread has brought back many memories of our days gone by including myself to a lot of us on here,,even to theatres,trolley buses,places and days out and the list goes on,now Babs Windsor has turned up too,my aunt worked in a shop in Golders Green near the train station and a few "stars"of the time used to go in there to buy underwear and such,Miss Windsor,Diana Copeland to name two,used to get a Christmas card from "Babs" and always we knew where the next Bond film was going to be filmed as some of the crew would come into the shop to buy suitable items for hot climates:D.

Memories on buses,Mother dear left me on a 113(Routemaster) when I was about 8,I was so intent on what the driver was doing she got up to get off and thought I was following,a kind passenger and the conductor sorted me out for the next stop and we were reunited!I knew where I was so not a problem,we met half way between the stops!:rofl:

As a boy visiting my aunt and uncle in Willesden riding the 266 route it would go along past Cricklewood railway yards and from the top deck could see across the yards,steam locos,coaling tower,loved it and my MINIC Motorway transport set had a Routemaster,266 Hamersmith BDY and as I recall had Players ciggy adverts on the side and how things have changed?
Funny how something as simple as a bus can stir up so many memories?:giggle::clap::clap:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You've made lovely job of that bus, wel done

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers