Retrofitting points with motors

Anorak

Registered
20 Jun 2010
Norfolk
Best answers
Another silly question, can LGB or Piko manual points be retofitted with motors or at least converted?

Just curious really, I've seen motors for sale but I assume they are direct replacments for failed units but I didn't know if the actual points are different between manual and electric.

Tim

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
LGB manual point switches can be replaced by LGB electric point switches without the need of any alteration. They use the same screws as what fastens the manual switch, but if you look at your point there is another fastening hole about two sleepers further along, the electric motor being longer fastens into that.

Anorak

Registered
20 Jun 2010
Norfolk
Best answers
Thanks Steve, I've only got electric so I didn't know what the manual points looked like but I couldn't imagine they would produce a completely different item just so you couldn't fit a motor on to it.

It just means now I can include any manual points I see second hand rather than dismissing them.

Are Piko the same do you happen to know?

Tim

newboydave

G scale trains - no surprise there then!</br></br>
24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim.

Apologies for sort-of trying to hijack your thread, but I'm currently about to fit seven 'Aristo' manual points with electric slow motion point motors.

Has anybody out there done this and if so, I would very much appreciate a 'blow-by-blow' account on how to do it - eletricery or anything involving a screwdriver, is like a foreign language to me I'm afraid.

Dave H.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Anorak said:
Are Piko the same do you happen to know?
LGB and Piko motors are complete interchangeable on each others' points. The only thing to be aware of is that the Piko motors are somewhat bigger all round than LGB's, but unless you have a ferociously complicated set of pointwork, it shouldn't be an issue.

For the Piko R5 (= LGB R3), see my review here: http://www.gscalecentral.net/m63991

Anorak

Registered
20 Jun 2010
Norfolk
Best answers
Murkey Buckets Whatlep that review was good reading.

By the way I've also stolen your ideas for improving the BR80 and at the moment the dining room table is serving as an operating table and paint shop :clap:

Tim

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Anorak said:
Murkey Buckets Whatlep that review was good reading.

By the way I've also stolen your ideas for improving the BR80 and at the moment the dining room table is serving as an operating table and paint shop :clap:

Tim

Steal away Tim! Good to know I'm not the only Centralista trying to avoid painting/ carving the furniture.... :D