Replacements needed

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Following a couple of unfortunate incidents, I find myself in need of three replacement pieces for my (discontinued) Bachmann 4-4-0. They are the metal rods, which connect the footsteps to the underside of the tender (short) and crosspiece below the footplate of the loco itself (different pattern). The broken pieces are round rods, with their lower ends squared off to fit in the square holes in the footsteps. Polite suggestions welcome; replacements for the tender steps (only) are still available online at what looks like a relatively high price, taking post, packing, taxes and duties into account, and I would still need the two different pattern under-footplate steps, or their rods. There are no steps available for the 4-6-0 which is virtually identical. Is Bachmann's UK place likely to have anything? Any other ideas?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann (Europe) to give it its proper title.. :wondering:
At Barwell, is worth a phone call..

But I would be pleasantly surprised, if they came up with anything...

PhilP

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann (Europe) to give it its proper title.. :wondering:
At Barwell, is worth a phone call..

But I would be pleasantly surprised, if they came up with anything...

PhilP
Yes, I got something from them a few years ago - possibly a gearbox, which they apparently just whipped out of a complete loco. I have toyed with the idea of seeing what "corpses" they might have for me to use for other as yet undecided projects.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Are we talking about the older Mk I original version of the "American"/"Centenial" style loco, rather than the Mk II with the brass gears. Can you supply a picture of those parts to be sure of what has been broken/dammaged ? I have had a look at my very similar Mk I 2-6-0 of that Bachmann loco type and I think you could fashion replacements from brass rod.

I have looked at the parts diagrams (which are for the Mk II), on the Bachmann site and their parts shop for both the older Mk I 4-4-0 & similar 2-6-0 older models but could not find any of those parts listed for sale. The original exploded parts diagrams for these locos, in the loco manual not separate sheets, were not detailed enough to show these parts - a bit of an anomaly for Bachmann. But as has been suggest above - don't ask, don't get. I have bought spares direct from Bachmann US and find them very efficient and helpful to deal with. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, they're easily breakable - don't ask me how I know.

I was thinking of fabricating something from brass - a little less brittle if the loco tips over, as mine does frequently in its storage box :oops::oops:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
You could try Bachmann US if you haven't already.
Here are is a link to possibly the relevant page

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You could try Bachmann US if you haven't already.
Here are is a link to possibly the relevant page

Ooh ! I hadn't noticed the steps. Well spotted Mike. Max

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I checked the "available spare parts" list before I started this thread. Which version? Probably the earlier one, B&LRR livery. Can't see the gears without inversion and internal exam. I would assume things like footsteps would be common to both versions in any event. I guess brass rod will be the answer, with suitable treatment of the ends to hold everything together. Wish me luck.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I checked the "available spare parts" list before I started this thread. Which version? Probably the earlier one, B&LRR livery. Can't see the gears without inversion and internal exam. I would assume things like footsteps would be common to both versions in any event. I guess brass rod will be the answer, with suitable treatment of the ends to hold everything together. Wish me luck.

The newer version with brass gears has a lift out coal load and the standard Bachman p&p PCB with the 3 switches sitting in the tender. The older one does not have the lift out coal load or that PCB. Have a look at the 2-6-0 LS sound ready tender diagram on the Bachmann US parts service infomation / product information. Should give you a link to a PDF. Note that loco is the later version. Max

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
The newer version with brass gears has a lift out coal load and the standard Bachman p&p PCB with the 3 switches sitting in the tender. The older one does not have the lift out coal load or that PCB. Have a look at the 2-6-0 LS sound ready tender diagram on the Bachmann US parts service infomation / product information. Should give you a link to a PDF. Note that loco is the later version. Max
No, the coal load if fixed - even more so since I added real coal to it...