Replacement bulbs for LGB 28002

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Accidentally blew a bulb while testing my decoder on my LGB 28002.

Is the Massoth 8311110 compatible with these locos? Or am I better to try upgrading to LEDs?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The push in lamps for LGB are of various voltages, so you need to check the voltage. If you go down the LED route you will require the appropriate resistor.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah!
You probably needed to set the lighting voltage divider CV, to '5' or '6' to start with..
Otherwise the outputs will be full track voltage.

If you have flat-ended bulbs, they will be 5V.
If the ends are rounded, then they will be 19 or 24V.

PhilP

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
You probably needed to set the lighting voltage divider CV, to '5' or '6' to start with..
Otherwise the outputs will be full track voltage.
Yes. For testing, I patched directly to the light bypassing the mainboard. The mainboard has voltage reduction from track to 5V, but with the bypass I needed to update the CVs to not over-power the light. I remembered to do that when testing the eMotion, but forgot to do the same for the 55021 and burned out the bulb.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's why I always use full output and dropping resistors for the bulb.... forgetting the "dimmer CV" has blown too many bulbs.

Most decoders nowadays do indeed have a 5v common supply, so you don't need large resistors.

Anyway, not gloating on your bulb burnout, but even the most experienced person burns bulbs out this way on occasion. I don't.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB actually did not use a 5 volt bulb power source, they run bulbs at 6.2 to 6.8 volts. Smoke units are Seuth 4-7 volt version and LGB runs them in the 6 volt range also.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Accidentally blew a bulb while testing my decoder on my LGB 28002.

Is the Massoth 8311110 compatible with these locos? Or am I better to try upgrading to LEDs?
Andrew - You can use either the massoth or LGB 5 volts push-pin light bulbs..........they're both fine for your locomotive.