Replacement Batteries

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
The battery in the Newqida loco is getting a bit tired, ie not holding a charge and only 30-ish minutes run time so I'm thinking of a replacement Nicad, the old is 7.2 volts at 1800mah, would I be ok replacing it with one 7.2 volts 3300mah, assuming it will give me a longer run time?

Thanks Pete

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes you are correct Pete.

You should be able to get them from any model shop that does radio controlled cars/boats/aircraft, and they should confirm your thoughts....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, 1800 mAh is pretty lightweight - 3,300 will give a noticeable difference in run time.

As it's difficult to know with some of these 7.2v packs whether they are LSD, it's probably best to charge it on delivery, run it until it is discharged (as in the loco stops) then re-charge it.

Always charge it after use, no matter how short the run time.

From experience, that is how you will get the best out of NiCad / NiMh cells :nod::nod:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps, will get 2 and a new charger too.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The originally supplied battery will be NiCad, and of limited capacity..

Swap it for a similar NiMH pack. - This will not suffer from 'memory' and be of a higher capacity.

I would suggest using a better charger, than that supplied with the loco, though.

PhilP

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
cheers PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using similar Smart Chargers for some time now and the batteries appear to be fine with them up to now. Some of my batteries have been around over 9 years now. Mine have been fitted up with a plug that goes into a socket in the loco courtesy of Peter Spoerer (retired now and replaced by ===>) and newer ones from Fosworks.

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You would be better off using NiMH batteries, they have no charge memory and don't require them to be fully discharged before re charging them. I have been using NiMH's with my trains and Airsoft for the past 15 years.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually they seem to have less of a "memory effect', they are surely not perfect. Also you NEVER needed to fully discharge any battery before recharging, you just needed a better charger. Lots of old theories that have been debunked over the years.

I have nicads older than most college students working well, and I have systems that blew them up in 6 months. Same for nimih. Smart charger technology really improved with lithiums, since instead of a bad charger just ruining the batteries, it caused a fire!

Greg