Removing Halford’s vinyl bumper paint

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I am in the process of assembling a couple of ICM 1/24scale Ford Model T kits but I have given myself a problem.
Clean out of gloss black spray I decided to use what was to hand, ie Halfords vinyl buffer spray and apply a gloss varnish over it.
Mistake! The spray has not dried smooth. So, I dipped the lot in brake fluid and left it for 2 days.
I find that the paint is impervious to brake fluid!
Has anyone any idea what solvent might work without dissolving the plastic model? The can is no help as despite warnings everywhere about safe useage and disposal there is no hint as to the constituent chemicals. I was under the impression that the presence of noxious materials had to be declared in the UK.
Incidentally, I have mixed views about the ICM models, first impressions were good, well made parts easily removed from the sprues but the instructions are wrong in places, some key visible components will not fit due to obstruction by other parts. The instruction images show some wrong assembly sequences and the nice big glossy box cover misses out some components.
Many near microscopic bits are just not possible to fit but in any case they will be completely covered over permanently!
We’ll get there, with an enlarged vocabulary.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm model strip is as far as my knowledge goes. Though there is another strip magic, both popped up on a Google search for model strip. When I use Model strip I put the parts in a sealed plastic bag overnight. Though not sure if it will work with your bumper paint which is known for its tenacity.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hm model strip is as far as my knowledge goes. Though there is another strip magic, both popped up on a Google search for model strip. When I use Model strip I put the parts in a sealed plastic bag overnight. Though not sure if it will work with your bumper paint which is known for its tenacity.
Thanks, worth a try.