Regner Else

Hi all, I recently acquired this Regner Else from facebook and it looks to be brand new which is obviously great news for me but its come with no instructions of any kind. I emailed Michael Ragg at Argyle and he said they've never imported one and thus have no documentation on it. has anyone had any experience with these? I'm pretty keen to have a go at steaming it up but at the moment i cant even find a way to get water into it short of pulling the whistle valve out of it or pulling the safety valve off.

Regner Else by jgptrains, on Flickr

Thanks

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag

Did a quick search and this UK site may be able to help as I cannot find a direct link to Regner.

Have been advised that any info may need to be translated but I don’t really know.

When some of the other usual crowd come on line later they will probably be able to help.

carry on,

Monty

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, I recently acquired this Regner Else from facebook and it looks to be brand new which is obviously great news for me but its come with no instructions of any kind. I emailed Michael Ragg at Argyle and he said they've never imported one and thus have no documentation on it. has anyone had any experience with these? I'm pretty keen to have a go at steaming it up but at the moment i cant even find a way to get water into it short of pulling the whistle valve out of it or pulling the safety valve off.

Regner Else by jgptrains, on Flickr

Thanks
Safety Valve out is a pretty normal route for filling the boiler. Use a syringe till water comes out of the top the. Remove 30-40ml so that there is somewhere for steam to go to. Steam Oil goes in what looks like the Westinghouse pump at the right front of the boiler, the knob sets the amount of flow of oil. Close this completely then open perhaps 1/2 to a full of a turn to get the oil flowing. After your first run on wooden blocks check to see how much used, if not a lot may need opening a little more for the next run. Gas will go in via a valve in the gas tank, Butane only. You may have difficulty gassing the beast, Reiner Gas Valves are notorious for this and a replacement from an iMP otter may be needed. Hope that helps some.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
All the Regner piston valve 0-4-0 locos use the same chassis and boiler and are quite simple to run, similar to the older basic Accucraft, Pearce or Merlin locos. They are very to to run. The only thing to be careful of is the brass boiler - don't use acidic water and never use descaler in the boiler, Regner actually recommend adding a small amount of tap water to the distilled water to coat the inside of the boiler with a protective layer of lime!

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
With regard to water I use the condensed water from the tumble dryer or dehumidifier. You can use rain water but it needs to be filtered.
Garden Railways is goto in the UK for anything Regner. He should be able to help. Don't forget the steam oil............

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I also use dehumidifier or CLEAN rain water, but always filter using a coffee filter paper (a new one each time ;))

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
With regard to water I use the condensed water from the tumble dryer or dehumidifier. You can use rain water but it needs to be filtered.
Garden Railways is goto in the UK for anything Regner. He should be able to help. Don't forget the steam oil............
Not entirely convinced about the condensed water from the tumble dryer, can any from the washing get into it? If so you are possibly using some hard water. Best not to take the risk

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Rain water filtered through 2 coffee filters for me. I collect rai water in a special pot, not from a water butt

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Rain water filtered through 2 coffee filters for me. I collect rai water in a special pot, not from a water butt
That sounds like a pretty good solution, I use the Water from my dehumidifier. Just have it turned on when wet washing being dried.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, why my emphasis on CLEAN rain water, and regardless of the source I always filter before decanting into my filler bottle.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, why my emphasis on CLEAN rain water, and regardless of the source I always filter before decanting into my filler bottle.
Glad you raised the rainwater issue again Jimmy, I have worries about this on reflection. Acidity in the rain may not be the best thing to introduce to live steam. For my part I reckon having expended near or in many cases well over a grand UK for a live steam engine getting the right water should be a priority. A dehumidifier is really the only option to be sure, chemists so called de humidified has doubtful properties and certainly any tapwater may have chalk or other chemicals to keep it drinkable even in a soft water area.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Glad you raised the rainwater issue again Jimmy, I have worries about this on reflection. Acidity in the rain may not be the best thing to introduce to live steam. For my part I reckon having expended near or in many cases well over a grand UK for a live steam engine getting the right water should be a priority. A dehumidifier is really the only option to be sure, chemists so called de humidified has doubtful properties and certainly any tapwater may have chalk or other chemicals to keep it drinkable even in a soft water area.
And NOT de-ionized water, water should preferably be distilled i.e. the steam droplets once condensated, though there are other methods (don't wish to get into a discussion). If you (not you dunnyrail dunnyrail ) do not know the difference Wikipedia will provide answers a lot more concise and more accurate than mine. Good clean rain water is a second choice, at your own peril.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
And NOT de-ionized water, water should preferably be distilled i.e. the steam droplets once condensated, though there are other methods (don't wish to get into a discussion). If you (not you dunnyrail dunnyrail ) do not know the difference Wikipedia will provide answers a lot more concise and more accurate than mine. Good clean rain water is a second choice, at your own peril.
Yes agree Jimmy, forgot that horror of de-ionized stuff. Certainly a good NOT from you.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, here in the US, distilled water can cause issues, due to it's tendency to "pull" metal ions from the solder in the boiler.

"soft" water seems to be the desired water, since it does not try to eat solder.

Don't want to start a pissing match, you can go to one of the US forums and argue with them ha ha!

Greg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Don't want to start a pissing match, you can go to one of the US forums and argue with them ha ha!

Greg
And NOT de-ionized water, water should preferably be distilled i.e. the steam droplets once condensated, though there are other methods (don't wish to get into a discussion).
Greg, agreed, though I think I put it more eloquently ;)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Where DunnyRail and I live, the rainwater seems to be full either of the Sahara Desert, the Gobi Desert, or the Steppes. When it rains, the detritus left on your car could be gathered up and use to plant desert flowers.

many moons ago I bought a small - 4.5l - desktop distiller unit, as found in many small laboratories. Next time I use it, I'll post you what comes out of our Anglian Water ['love every drop'] pipes, left in the bottom of the tank....

You'll either laff, or be horrified.

I do ALL my locomotive water TWICE.