Red river station

Pauljag900

Registered
14 Jan 2020
Chester
Best answers
Hi everyone,
my name is Paul and I live in Chester,Cheshire,Uk.
so by way of a brief ish intro,
I m more in to modelling than trains and started in n gauge japanese about 6 years ago.I m 60 years old now and I suffer with arthritis and last year my hands were becoming quite sore particularly at the base of the thumb,i destroyed a locco when trying to put it back together after a routine clean and service so after a lot of thought and deliberation I decided to call it a day on the N gauge and switch to G scale.
To begin with it will live in a 12x8 shed but hopefully will extend around a small rockery next to it.
I m calling it Red River Station,purely because that’s the name of the station building. Basically it ll just be two loops based loosely on a small American town,I say loosely as I bought two Piko starter sets and they only do the two steam ones with smoke and sound and one is german
not a lot to report at the moment tho it is up and running,
be nice to speak to you all ,
paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Paul..

Do read a lot before starting to construct a railway. - Though I expect it will be a a convenient height in the shed?

Think about your comfort (in our climate).. You can open a door / window if it is hot, but a cold, damp shed is not a fun place to be!

Ask away, and we will try to answer. Try to stay 'on-thread' (at least for a while). ;)

Oh! Be prepared for some of the corniest-jokes going!

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone,
my name is Paul and I live in Chester,Cheshire,Uk.
so by way of a brief ish intro,
I m more in to modelling than trains and started in n gauge japanese about 6 years ago.I m 60 years old now and I suffer with arthritis and last year my hands were becoming quite sore particularly at the base of the thumb,i destroyed a locco when trying to put it back together after a routine clean and service so after a lot of thought and deliberation I decided to call it a day on the N gauge and switch to G scale.
To begin with it will live in a 12x8 shed but hopefully will extend around a small rockery next to it.
I m calling it Red River Station,purely because that’s the name of the station building. Basically it ll just be two loops based loosely on a small American town,I say loosely as I bought two Piko starter sets and they only do the two steam ones with smoke and sound and one is german
not a lot to report at the moment tho it is up and running,
be nice to speak to you all ,
paul
Welcome Paul, there’s a wealth of information from across the globe here.
Like you I’m a relative newbie with G scale but I came straight into it rather than modelling a smaller gauge first.
However you decide to develop your garden railway the main thing is to enjoy it.
Looking forward to a photo or two.
Les.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul, lots of prattle here and some valuable info too. Welcome aboard.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Paul. Wise choice to go with starter sets, great value and everything you need to get trains running. Indoors is a good place to start, especially in winter, as your playtime is not limited by our wonderful weather. It does limit the length of rolling stock and trains compared to the great outdoors but there is still a very wide range. I manage in a 10' x 8' shed but as dunnyrail dunnyrail says make sure it is warm and dry, ideally insulated floor, walls and roof, and double glazed. Put up some pictures when you get a chance. Have fun.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, as you've already seen lots of really good advice ando just as many terrible jokes on here

Pauljag900

Registered
14 Jan 2020
Chester
Best answers
Morning everyone,
here s three pics of my layout past and present,sorry there not in order,I ll get the hang of it eventually.
My N gauge Japanese layout,the re used and re vamped baseboards and how it looks today.
it lives in a shed 12x8 that is 1” thick and has a heater which does the job,I ve never not been able to go in there due to bad weather
A08917A3-6974-495A-BE6D-F61544A210BC.jpeg8268FC4B-9673-43E7-96B1-B3694D0EAC87.jpeg2B339E7D-843D-4BAA-B221-9155271A5D06.jpeg
i ll keep you all updated as I go along as I have plans to alter things slightly to include a single tram loop!

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, welcome, looks good, though I would still think about the insulation, if nothing else it will keep your heating bills down.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Gosh! that was a serious-looking n-gauge empire. - You can certainly pack a lot in.

Tell me?
Was the n-gauge layout, AC or DC? :giggle::rock::rock:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Great N gauge layout and good start to the G. I am intrigued by the loco hanging up near the window. Looks like you have a decent taste in music - I assume it's a vinyl, not a calendar.

Pauljag900

Registered
14 Jan 2020
Chester
Best answers
Great N gauge layout and good start to the G. I am intrigued by the loco hanging up near the window. Looks like you have a decent taste in music - I assume it's a vinyl, not a calendar.
The locco hanging up is a tin plate ornamental model that my grandkids bought me which may find its way onto the layout at some point;)
I assume you mean the ac dc poster? It’s just a poster from eBay,but yeah,the best rock band ever imho

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
ACDC, best rock group ever? Bin 'ere 10 minutes and looking for a thread drift already!

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
It must have been hard to dismantle that n gauge layout. You seem to have lost your workbench area in the process of upscaling or is it "behind the camera"?

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I meant hard emotionally as well as physically.

Reactions: 1 user

Pauljag900

Registered
14 Jan 2020
Chester
Best answers
I meant hard emotionally as well as physically.
Morning Dave
The “workbench” is actually an old computer desk and it’s still there in the same place,just not as obvious as it’s pushed under the layout.
It was more dificult emotionally to be honest buddy,it ad taken 5 years and a ton of money to get to that point but I did nt want it to get wrecked and unusable because I could nt maintain it properly.
It had about 30 trains on it with six running at any one time plus two trams so you can imagine how much track cleaning and locco maintainence there was but even using a track rubber was becoming dificult.N gauge is not as forgiving as G
I love the hobby but as I ve said,I m more into creating a nice layout than being a train nut so will run anything that looks nice.The N gauge was Japanese but I also ran American,german and British.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
The N gauge was Japanese but I also ran American,german and British.

If you did that at the same time then it was my sort of layout!! As you explore this site further you will see that there are a few here that also dabble with Kato including trams.

Welcome

Paul

Pauljag900

Registered
14 Jan 2020
Chester
Best answers
Gents,
if I m out of order here then I appologies in advance but as I ve had a few comments about my previous N gauge layout I ve put up two links to YouTube videos of it when it was up for sale,hope that’s ok and not too far off topic

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not a problem.. Just a different part of your model railway journey. :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Trains are never too far off topic :shake::shake::shake:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Paul.

I am also an N scale modeller. I'm building a layout using Kato track, for my Kato RhB Swiss stock atm.

Your Japanese layout is, or was, very impressive. I wish I had a Man Cave like yours too!

However, I've been into G scale for around 25 years, although ill health last year stopped me being in the garden so I've not done much with rebuilding my current railway for a while.

Feel free to ask about G scale here. I might be asking you some Kato questions later....