Recommended upgrade for FO electric rack loco

Ger-Y-Nant

LGB, Automation with DCC
24 Oct 2009
Bridgend
Best answers
I have two of the older style Electric rack locos, The Red FO and the Blue Zugspitz special edition.

can anyone advise the simplest way to add sound to these locos?

thanks.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Do they already have motor/light decoders fitted? That will affect any answer we might give. Thanks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you are going DCC then a Massoth Decoder is what you want, I think as this has such a chunky motor an XL would be best. However as My Loco Sound now do a Tram or Universal Electric Sound card either of these would de a cheeper option if you are not DCC. You can listen to the MLS sounds on this link, my feeling is that the Tram Sound may give a nicer old time sound to these locomotives.

Ger-Y-Nant

LGB, Automation with DCC
24 Oct 2009
Bridgend
Best answers
I’m DCC already with the standard simple LGB small loco Plug in module. I was wondering if a sound module existed that would sit alongside the existing one to save me ripping out everything, but if needs must then I’ve converted a a Brunig 1051 so I’m ok with it.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’m DCC already with the standard simple LGB small loco Plug in module. I was wondering if a sound module existed that would sit alongside the existing one to save me ripping out everything, but if needs must then I’ve converted a a Brunig 1051 so I’m ok with it.
Ok then what you need is an LGB Sound Box DCC fits in simple. This is just one UK supplier but sure you may be able to get one a little cheeper, try Tops Slots near Blackpool.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That is a little crude!

A Massoth S will just require the address setting the same, and track-power.. - You can add an external volume pot. if you wish?
I am not familiar with the PLUG decoder.. If it has a SUSI connector, you can do away with the track power connections, as well.

PhilP.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
When I put a Massoth XLS decoder in my Zugspitz I couldn’t see an obvious place for the speaker. Regrettably, I still haven’t been able to install the speaker but my initial thinking was to mount it against the loco side and drill some holes to let the sound out. The holes would be disguised by a grid of some kind. Not prototypical but that wouldn’t bother me.

Be interested to see how you decide to put the speaker in.

Ger-Y-Nant

LGB, Automation with DCC
24 Oct 2009
Bridgend
Best answers
When I put a Massoth XLS decoder in my Zugspitz I couldn’t see an obvious place for the speaker. Regrettably, I still haven’t been able to install the speaker but my initial thinking was to mount it against the loco side and drill some holes to let the sound out. The holes would be disguised by a grid of some kind. Not prototypical but that wouldn’t bother me.

Be interested to see how you decide to put the speaker in.

Since I have two of the Racks I took them both apart to see which one suited the LGB unit best (I started with that one since it's from the same era as the loco!)
1591448676959.png
A small block of wood on top of the original PCBA lifts it above the connectors and it sits quite nicely in the centre of the model.
The sound comes out of the loco fine without the need for additional holes. Only drawback is I have to remove the lid to adjust the volume, but a little trial and error before fitting the screws has done the trick!

Ger-Y-Nant

LGB, Automation with DCC
24 Oct 2009
Bridgend
Best answers
That is a little crude!

A Massoth S will just require the address setting the same, and track-power.. - You can add an external volume pot. if you wish?
I am not familiar with the PLUG decoder.. If it has a SUSI connector, you can do away with the track power connections, as well.

PhilP.
I meant the small loco decoder :)
I have the appropriate PCB in my loco for the Massoth S, which I think is good.
1591449923573.png
I've had a look at the LGB bus to SUSI connection and looks neat but the instructions seem to suggest a pulse generator is required. As this is to fit an Electric loco, is this mandatory?
Also there is a plethora of options for the 'S' module, but the FO is an HGe 2/2 and there doesn't seem to be an option for that, which one do you think will be closest sounding?
1591449870684.png

Thanks for your advice!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You don't need a pulse generator for diesel or electric locos, you just make the sound load dependent from track power or SUSI.

I've never heard an HGe 2/2 but I could imagine from that list a Ge 2/4 would be closest.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Since I have two of the Racks I took them both apart to see which one suited the LGB unit best (I started with that one since it's from the same era as the loco!)
View attachment 267696
A small block of wood on top of the original PCBA lifts it above the connectors and it sits quite nicely in the centre of the model.
The sound comes out of the loco fine without the need for additional holes. Only drawback is I have to remove the lid to adjust the volume, but a little trial and error before fitting the screws has done the trick!

Thanks for the update and pics.