Railcar battery conversion

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I intend to convert my IOM railcar from track power to battery r/c as my line is strictly live steam/battery with no provision (or desire) for track power. Having looked at the existing setup, there are a number of benefits to this, not least that the lights will not grow brighter as the speed increases (which it does at the moment!).
But if I patch a battery, receiver and speed controller into the existing wiring loom, am I right in thinking that this will supply power to the track via the wheel pickups, with the possibility of short-circuits, as I have two balloon loops?
The railcar is a long-term purchase, so I am minded to remove the pickups and much of the wiring loom, replacing it with separate motor and lighting feeds from a Deltang-type Rx (although I think these have been discontinued?) which I can run from my Tx-22.

Does this sound about right?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I intend to convert my IOM railcar from track power to battery r/c as my line is strictly live steam/battery with no provision (or desire) for track power. Having looked at the existing setup, there are a number of benefits to this, not least that the lights will not grow brighter as the speed increases (which it does at the moment!).
But if I patch a battery, receiver and speed controller into the existing wiring loom, am I right in thinking that this will supply power to the track via the wheel pickups, with the possibility of short-circuits, as I have two balloon loops?
The railcar is a long-term purchase, so I am minded to remove the pickups and much of the wiring loom, replacing it with separate motor and lighting feeds from a Deltang-type Rx (although I think these have been discontinued?) which I can run from my Tx-22.

Does this sound about right?
Firstly, yes, remove the pickups.

As to the wiring loom - talk to Philp about the new Micron Rx. I would expect it to have suitable outlets for directional lighting, and these will be constant voltage. Accy bulbs are usually 5v max.

When I converted the Accy Goose to battery power, I had 5v to the directional lights and a different voltage (can't now remember what that was, and can't find my conversation with Phil at the moment) to the marker lights which were LED and stay on constantly irrespective of direction of travel.

So the easiest answer may be to remove the loom and start again - that's what I did with the Goose - in fact two looms Lautrec; one in each half of the vehicle :nerd::nerd:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly, yes, remove the pickups.
Agreed, power to the track MUST be isolated.
So the easiest answer may be to remove the loom and start again - that's what I did with the Goose - in fact two looms Lautrec; one in each half of the vehicle :nerd::nerd:
I have found in my conversions, removing existing wiring, with all new wiring the easiest way forward, and assists with the above.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Third that removing track pickups. Also removes a bit of drag for slightly improved battery duration. My conversions normally use Fosworks that supply wiring looms to connect RX, Battery, Speed Control. You just need wires to the motor so a plug with plain wires the other end needs to be added. A few of Railcar threads may give some help.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
And don't forget to remove the carbon brushes, in the case of LGB locos. On other brands like USA Trains locos, there is a very fine wire that wipes the backs of the drive wheels, inside of the motor block. This wire connects to the same terminal as do the pick-up skates.

Over here, I use G Scale Graphics Railboss system.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes isolate the pickups, someone on here was told to and didn't andcwecall know what happened then

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The Micron MR603 is a replacement for Deltang Rxs - see Micron MR603

Rik

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
They say every picture tells a story...

20220627_220229[1].jpg
Pickups removed ready for battery r/c conversion :). Thanks for all the help and advice so far!

Reactions: 1 user