Radio Control sound options?

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
Hi All,

I am looking for any advice and reviews of sound cards which work with remote control?

In particular has any one tried the new Crest Revolution cards with the generic sounds? (I know these are American sounds only)

Phoenix seems to be the gold standard but out of my price range...

Cheers

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Robert,

I am sorry that you are disappointed by our American whistle. A critical factor in sound quality, especially the whistle, is the speaker and how well it is baffled. You need an 8 ohm speaker with the lowest resonant frequency you can find. It then needs an airtight baffle box to be fixed to the back of the speaker. The usual way of doing this, on a 50mm speaker, is to use the plastic top of a spray paint can and seal it with bathroom silicon.

Can I suggest that you use your smart phone Notes app to make a recording of your whistle and email it to me at sales@mylocosound.com. I will then let you know if and how it can be improved.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MylocoSound

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I use the Crest Revo sound in my locos it is OK. I use this because of remote control functionality and I don't have to buy an extra sound card so works out cheaper per loco. I have talked with Navin at Crest an he assures me they are nearly ready to release sound files and upgrades. Waiting with baited breath