Best answers
Country flag

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I've used a three pole one on a battery loco - two poles for reversing and the third to switch the directional lighting.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
That is basically 2 DPDT switches in one package. I used to use one of them for a scissors crossover on my old N gauge layout. Imagine you have 4 separate circuits to be switched at the same time, that switch would be used for that.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
I inheritted several DPDT switches, hope the military don't want them back, took me some time to work out which contacts to use, there were so many. These had been required for activating other things, buzzers, indicator lights and so on.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Damn, can't look at the link @ work but the clue is in the description "4PDT" =
4 Pole Double Throw. So you have 4 independant "poles" that can be thrown two different ways ON-OFF-ON, all linked together by a single toggle or slider so they all change at once.

As nicebutdim says, if it's easier then think it like two good old familiar DPDT switches joined together with one toggle.

What would you use it for? Depends what clever circuits you can come up with! You could maybe use two poles to create a track polarity reversal, then another pole to switch a red/green LED or something and the 4th pole for maybe a relay if you needed it.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Ah Ha ! Thanks gents.