PWM Motor Controller

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I recieved a PDF Model loco for Christmas. It has a 3V motor supplied with it, but no speed controller. Would a PWM type be suitable? I'm not particularly interested in any else other than manually controlling the speed for now. (It's easily disassembled for any upgrades). Would anyone have any advice on manufacturers? Or would any £5 hobby from ebay be any good?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The only thing to watch, is 3V is going to be quite a low voltage for many of the cheapy controllers..

I have some, but have not tried them at such a low supply voltage. They may also be too big, to fit the loco?

PhilP.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The only thing to watch, is 3V is going to be quite a low voltage for many of the cheapy controllers..

I have some, but have not tried them at such a low supply voltage. They may also be too big, to fit the loco?

PhilP.
OK, cheers, I'll take a look at the physical size.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There used to be a wiring diagram for a standard G Scale controller (when we were all G Scale Mad) and it was similar to Ivan's IP Engineering speed controller :nod::nod::nod:

I could never make them work, probably because I was using too many volts :oops::oops:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'm going to look for a small radio controlled car to butcher, just see if I can do something with that

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I'm going to look for a small radio controlled car to butcher, just see if I can do something with that
By all means do.. See if you can get one of the teeny, tiny ones, they sell at Christmas..
Problem with them all, is they are stop, or fast. - We need slow-speed control..

PhilP.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

It works great, for one loco.
Apparently if you would buy two of them they can interfere with each other??
I dont know if this is true.

Hope this was of some help.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It looks like a 2.4 gHz so they should not interfere with each other, but I am sure one of the others can confirm this.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it is a 2.4Ghz.
I while ago i saw a forum member that had 41 of those rc units incl 41 (diesel) loco's, but i forgot witch section and who it was.
But i have no idea if it is similar to the one i have.
It would seem logical that they wont interfere with each other.
With best regards,
Igor