Purpose built train R/C

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Best grab a brew sit down and get ready for a ramble.

OK well I suppose I should start by saying that I have done a reasonable amount of soldering of electronics in the past but realistically that’s 20 years ago. I know Rik bought a new bit for his soldering iron so this is the business end of mine –

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/daveb2/media/project bits/Iron_zps23593b45.jpg.html < Link To
Iron_zps23593b45.jpg

It’s a 30 year old 50W temperature controlled unit, pretty good in its day but nothing very special by today’s standards. To be fair if you’re more used to soldering up things like brass wagon kits with something a bit more plumbing related you may want to invest in something a little smaller.

So this is the kit as it arrives from David Theunissen

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/daveb2/media/project bits/Kit_zpsc1825e45.jpg.html < Link To
Kit_zpsc1825e45.jpg

To it you’ll need to add interconnect wire, glue and some time. I’d guess I spent around 3 - 4 hours in 3 stints of just over an hour each. You may work faster or slower, on the first night I made a foolish but recoverable error and after that I checked and double checked 8|

The first night I drilled the case for the switches and pots. The document pack includes full size drilling templates and if you want to be prepared you’ll need 3.2, 5, 6.5, 7, 9 & 9.5mm bits to hand. The template doesn’t show the anti-rotation holes for the two pots so I decided to add those and as the skirt of the supplied knob will only just cover the hole I drilled under size and opened it to a slot with a Swiss file. Now this is where I dropped a clod that you won’t! There are two identical looking knobs, they are not the same so you have to put the right ones on the right shafts if you want both to fit without excessive blinding and cursing. Luckily the parts list is quite clear – if you read it. When I confessed I’d made such a silly error to David T he did say he had tried to get both the shafts the same size but failed to find a supply, but will be trying again.

The second night I did most of the wiring up. The wire I chose to use was a PTFE coated type rather than the more usual PVC as I while I don’t actually like working with PTFE I thought that it’s resistance to an accidental touch from my soldering iron given the confined space was worthwhile. I don’t believe I did catch any of the wires but then again that was the point of the choice. I did deviate slightly from the standard build by using thin heatshrink on some of the longer exposed wires like the resistor R35 you see in pic 6 of the instructions that goes from the “selecta” switch to the speed knob.

The third night saw the last of the wiring and the connection of the Tx2 PCA and I must admit I wish I’d used half a dozen different colours for the wires to the Tx2 as that would have avoided me having to work out which of the six anonymous white wires, that I'd passed through a length of heatshrink to keep it tidy -slap-, went where with a DVM. There’s a couple of useful picture of the wiring of the Tx2 on its own page of the DT website -

http://www.deltang.co.uk/tx2.htm

So at the end of the third night it was in a state to turn on and test – so I did, and everything worked as hoped straight off.

There is a calibration routine for the mid point on the speed control and to ensure my “selecta” channel 1 matches yours, it’s automatic , takes less than a minute and you can read how to do it at the bottom of this page -

http://www.deltang.co.uk/tx22b-kit.htm

I still need to make up battery and Tx brackets but if I do this bit wrong and foul it all up I’ll buy a Tx2 built up and swear Mr. T to secrecy :eek:nphone:

Unfortunately I didn't take any mid build pictures but the "official" pics pretty much tell the story and while it is a bit tight for room at times there's nothing that's too difficult with a little bit of care. If you have a specific query I'll do my best to answer but I've emailed David T on a number of occassions before buying the kit and he's been helpful every time so I'm sure he'll help if I can't.

Dave

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
DaveB2 said:
I know Rik bought a new bit for his soldering iron
Thanks David
Really clear account of the process. Too late for me now as I already have the transmitter but I'm sure it would help someone wanting to follow in your footsteps

I bought a new tip for my iron - partly because my previous tip was was past its best (corroded and a bit shovel-like) - and also because I wanted to solder wires on the pads of the receiver for the LEDs - and the pads are around 1mm square. However, that intricate soldering is only necessary if you want to add LEDs or a servo (eg for remote uncoupling). As Dave indicates, the bog standard wiring for battery and for motor is already done. For testing I just inserted those wires into a screw terminal block - but later soldered them.

For information, the rx61-22 has eight additional outputs in addition to the motor:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P1 output - Servo
Bind button (Ch5)
Slow-motion servo for coupling
Press bind button to open coupling
Release bind button to close coupling

P2 output - Front Light (auto)
Led needs current limiting resistor

P3 output - Rear Light (auto)
Led needs current limiting resistor

P4 output - On/Off
Direction switch (Ch3)
Item being switched needs current limiting resistor
Switch right for ON (center/left OFF)

P5 output - On/Off
Direction switch (Ch3)
Switch left for ON (center/right OFF)

P6 output - On/Off
Bind button (Ch5)
ON while button pressed, OFF when released (momentary)

P7 output - On/Off
Bind button (Ch5)
Toggle ON/OFF each time button is pressed (latching)

P8 output - IR4
Battery voltage telemetry
Infrared led needs current limiting resistor
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whereas I started by using the Rx60 receiver/controller I'm now going over to using the Rx61 (thanks to Dave) which is easier to solder on to and has these extra outputs.

Rik

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I remember you'd said that it was as much that your old bit was life expired as anything but you also bought the smallest Maplin had? Hopefully the ruler gives an idea of what will work for the Tx build but that said I really didn't realise just how compact these units are until I opened the box. The pictures and sizes are all there to look at on the DT website but, for me anyway, when I looked at the Rx61 and thought... ESC, servo o/p, LED control, size of a big finger nail - not thumb nail ! and less than 30 quid, jaw - floor!
It's a shame though I couldn't have done something like your videos, 3 hours might be a bit boring :), yours are very good though - did David mention to you he may make a USB based Tx as a more long term idea? That could certainly be useful for Rx set ups if he does.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
DaveB2 said:
Did David mention to you he may make a USB based Tx as a more long term idea? That could certainly be useful for Rx set ups if he does.
Nope - sounds intriguing
I get the impression though he's keen on innovation.

Rik

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think it's at the tip-top of his list but I mentioned that we used to make a thing that used either a clever (read fiddly) combination of key presses to program or an optical wand and wouldn't it be nice to be able to write a text file and squirt it into the Rx? Which is when he mentioned he'd might make a USB Tx "one day".

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
DaveB2 said:
I don't think it's at the tip-top of his list but I mentioned that we used to make a thing that used either a clever (read fiddly) combination of key presses to program or an optical wand and wouldn't it be nice to be able to write a text file and squirt it into the Rx? Which is when he mentioned he'd might make a USB Tx "one day".
Hmmm - even more like a Sprog, then.
Interesting........
Rik

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
HI , Many thanks Dave ,and Rik for an in depth explanation of the build and install of the Deltang system - I for one will be going this route , for loco control, its also good to have guys like yourselves on hand - to ask -if and when it goes pear shaped - as anything electrical with me -- often does -- cheers Dave

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
As indicated above, David T is constantly innovating. He's now produced a standard receiver (£12) for use with the Tx22 and includes cruise control which can be used with any ESC.

http://www.deltang.co.uk/rx102a-22.htm Rik