Purpose built train R/C

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
http://www.deltang.co.uk/
Discovered this on the Freerails forum. They supply a 1, 3 and (especially for Ross) a 12 train Tx system which can be used in conjunction with their Rx/ESC combinations.... The Tx's can be got in kit form for the DIY fanatics....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting. Will have to look into them further.

OK, I looked alittle bit further into their site. I could find no mention of effective range for any of the transmitters.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
All I could see is that it is suitable for indoors or small outdoors layouts. I do like the fact that it has an inertia control....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
All I could see is that it is suitable for indoors or small outdoors layouts. I do like the fact that it has an inertia control....

And one more thing................IT'S SIMPLE !!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Am I reading this correctly - for £29 you get the rx and the esc combined with inertia etc and for £58 you get a transmitter that will control 12 trains - all working off 2.4gHz

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Some interesting videos of the system in action here - eg showing intertia and multiple control from one tx. Looks as if the rx are suitable for 5 - 16v and up to 1.5A

http://www.deltang.co.uk/video.htm Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Had the following reply from the chap who produces the system

Hi Rik,
I know of a couple of people who use it outdoors and they came back for more receivers. I fly planes in a 40m long hall without problems with the same Tx module. The box may reduce range slightly and one could poke the aerial out through a hole to help that. Foliage inhibits signals which is why on signal loss the loco continues for 1s and then slows over another 3s and will recover as soon as a signal is picked up. A brass loco body would reduce range a lot. So it mostly depends on how clear the signal path is.

Alternative is to buy a 'full range' DSM2 transmitter. DX4e or DX5e or the Orange Tx from Hobby King. They can be used as is or used as a donor to make something that looks more suitable.

Regards, David.

Rik

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
Am I reading this correctly - for £29 you get the rx and the esc combined with inertia etc and for £58 you get a transmitter that will control 12 trains - all working off 2.4gHz

Apparently even cheaper than that Rik. Using the link from the maker's site to Micron Radio Control and creating an order for one Rx60 plus one Tx22 shows GBP62.50 for the two together, plus P&P of GBP4.50.

Quite tempted to give two Rx60s and a TX22 a trial. That transmitter looks very well designed for the railway market. 1.5 amp limit shouldn't be a problem for single motor LGB stuff.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Apparently even cheaper than that Rik. Using the link from the maker's site to Micron Radio Control and creating an order for one Rx60 plus one Tx22 shows GBP62.50 for the two together, plus P&P of GBP4.50.

Quite tempted to give two Rx60s and a TX22 a trial. That transmitter looks very well designed for the railway market. 1.5 amp limit shouldn't be a problem for single motor LGB stuff.
It's a bit sneaky - VAT is added to that so the total comes to £80

Rik

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
whatlep said:

Rik

So it is. Don't like that approach to business so Micron lose a sale today. Foolish people!

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ge_rik said:

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Rik
Yes, even for an antipodean it sounds enticing. An amazingly simple setup, and yes sounds simpler that the programamble train controllers. I have it on good authority that Ross will be running classes in controlling 12 trains at once tooooooooo. For me inertia is good but because my auto signalling controls the trams by shutting off the track power I'm going to install HUMUNGOUS capacity Capacitors in each tram to try and avoid the sudden stops.....

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
ge_rik said:
Rik
So it is. Don't like that approach to business so Micron lose a sale today. Foolish people!
I'd be inclined to order directly from David T (not tracked down his last name yet). That way he gets the full amount himself. There's a link on his page to request a PayPal invoice.

Rik

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
whatlep said:
ge_rik said:
Rik
I'd be inclined to order directly from David T (not tracked down his last name yet). That way he gets the full amount himself. There's a link on his page to request a PayPal invoice.

Rik

I have done just that after exchanging emails with David T to clarify a couple of points I didn't understand.
I shall shortly be the proud owner of one of the new 12-way transmitters (Tx22) and two Rx60 receivers. I'll do a review for GSC when they arrive and I have time to play.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
whatlep said:
ge_rik said:
whatlep said:
ge_rik said:
Rik

Rik

I have done just that after exchanging emails with David T to clarify a couple of points I didn't understand.
I shall shortly be the proud owner of one of the new 12-way transmitters (Tx22) and two Rx60 receivers. I'll do a review for GSC when they arrive and I have time to play.
That's a good idea, can we have video of you driving 12 trains at once too? Purely, you understand, in the interests of my own research....

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
:cool:
tramcar trev said:
whatlep said:
ge_rik said:
whatlep said:
ge_rik said:
Rik

Rik

That's a good idea, can we have video of you driving 12 trains at once too? Purely, you understand, in the interests of my own research....

Yes mate - just send me the funds for the extra 10 receivers! :cool:
What could possibly go wrong? :mad:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Peter interesting. I was about to make a heavy investment in cliff barker kit to get three more locos done. I wonder if this is a better approach? I will await your testing!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Well, the various bits of kit I ordered on Friday arrived recorded delivery on Saturday. Very impressive service.

The bad news is that having tested the kit, it doesn't appear suitable for LGB motors. In brief, there is a lot of motor hum and I got some stuttering at low speed too. The effects are similar to those from early DCC chips were were not optimised for G scale motors, so I suspect it's frequency related. The effect may not occur with other manufacturer's motors, but I don't have any to test with.

The good news is that after I outlined the problem to the vendor via email, an immediate refund was provided, even before I have any chance to return the goods (which I will on Monday). I am very impressed with the vendor's business style even if the current version didn't fulfil my needs.

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
A shame they didn't work as you'd hoped but it sounds like the sellers response was all you could ever wish for if you found yourself in that position. I have a couple of Bachmann Annie's that I've been toying with the idea of R/C'ing and at the price I think I may have to give it a go and see if it is a problem peculiar to LGB motors as you suggest. Possibly when we get back from holidays and a little more outdoor work is complete ... darker evening project?

I like the idea of the originator getting the £'s, possibly when I'm in a position to buy the bits I could ask you to send me his contact details?

How did you find programming? That looks more daunting than actually assembling one of the "kits".

Nice to hear of a supplier who does more than take the money, even if it may not be a solution for everyone at the present.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Answering in the order questions were asked:

1) Contact details are in the website quoted in the first post in this thread
2) Programming isn't necessary for operation with the Tx22/ Rx60 or Rx61 combination I tried - it's wire up and play. Took me under 5 minutes and I'm Captain Slow on electronics.

I should have added to my brief post earlier that ALL the functions promised by the combination worked perfectly. Selecting multiple chips and having locos run independently of one another definitely does work from the Tx22, as does the inertia system. If the motor frequency issue can be fixed, the system is a game changer for radio control, in my opinion.

If you want to go down this route, I'd advise choosing "wired" receivers rather than bare ones. The wires and their solder points are very fine (similar to those used by LGB in looms from motor to bogie). For anyone like me who is "hamfistedly challenged" when soldering, wired receivers are a good thing!