Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Dehydrated water? Now THAT's a trick. You'll have to explain, please.
tac

I invented that when I was 10 but never took out a patent. Damn! :oops:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Dehydrated water? Now THAT's a trick. You'll have to explain, please.

tac
Well-publicized scam/joke. Empty tin. Saw it featured somewhere recently... some people will believe anything, that’s why America has ordered the word .”gullible” to be removed from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
When I took part in a medical research project a couple of years ago, they filled my arm with Heavy Water. Not sure why or what happened to it.... Just thought I’d mention it.
Did the extra weight on one side make you lob-sided ;)

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well-publicized scam/joke. Empty tin. Saw it featured somewhere recently... some people will believe anything, that’s why America has ordered the word .”gullible” to be removed from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Well, I can tell you that that is the stuff we use in the Army to reconstitute our mix-with-DH-and-shake-the-bag cutlery set to eat our RATPACKS/MREs. Backtracking a little, we were on exercise with the US Rangers down in Bad Tolz at the Long-range Patrol School as it was then, and fed up with our American buddies joshing us about our lack of comforts, I pulled out a wrapped set of plastic KFS, poured some of our 'special water' into it, shook it, and produced a rather damp cutlery set. The tent went VERY quiet for a few minutes until one of the guys caught on...

tac

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Dehydrated water - you breath it all the time!

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Density and viscosity are not dependent on one another!:rofl:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, but this was heavy water!
The extra weight was probably balanced out by the weight of the muscle tissue biopsies they took out of my leg.
(The object of the research involved the effects of exercise on ageing. The delightful young lady in charge got her doctorate and I got £100. Apparently there was a research programme involving a heart drug; if you let them stop your heart momentarily and then restart it with their new stuff, you got £100,000. Or your beneficiaries did).

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The extra weight was probably balanced out by the weight of the muscle tissue biopsies they took out of my leg.
(The object of the research involved the effects of exercise on ageing. The delightful young lady in charge got her doctorate and I got £100. Apparently there was a research programme involving a heart drug; if you let them stop your heart momentarily and then restart it with their new stuff, you got £100,000. Or your beneficiaries did).

Stuff that for a game of soldiers! - I have enough trouble getting central heating circulators to errr... circulate..

NOTE:
When did 'pumps' become 'circulators'?
AND...
Should they not be 'rectangulators'? - Knowing how most heating systems are laid out? :think:

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Stuff that for a game of soldiers! - I have enough trouble getting central heating circulators to errr... circulate..

NOTE:
When did 'pumps' become 'circulators'?
AND...
Should they not be 'rectangulators'? - Knowing how most heating systems are laid out? :think:

They have always been called circulators, a pump will create a head of water / liquid, a circulator does just that, circulate .
It's like refering to a water tank in the loft where it is actually a cistern, tanks can be pressurised cisterns can't.
Just being a bit pedantic.

Shaun

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A pump should be a positive displacement, where a circulatory, is rotary (generally) and if to much resistance is placed in the line the fluid will idle in the device.

So seeing as many are 'in' with the boiler, on the kitchen wall these days... They must be 'pumps', as they have to displace upwards to the first floor circuit as well.
Does explain why the impellor design in them is so carp though! :nerd::nod:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So seeing as many are 'in' with the boiler, on the kitchen wall these days... They must be 'pumps', as they have to displace upwards to the first floor circuit as well.

No, because the weight of water will also come back down to the - err, circulator, making a closed and balance system.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Impellers are not designed to raise pressure, by the very nature of a system impellers will raise some pressure, however as the restriction becomes greater, you reach a point when the pressure drops and quickly goes to idle, whereas in a positive displacement pump, when the maximum pressure is reached you could get a hydraulic lock, hence safety valves and bursting disks, to prevent this, none on an impeller system.