Progress on my tramway.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
With my new interest in all things trams, trolleys and streetcars, I am inspired !

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Got to ask - did you name the carriage after Yarloop, the town in Western Australia? It got ravaged by a bush fire and the best example of a preserved railway maintenance site was destroyed - a travesty!
Yes. Destination Yarloop. Its also where the only 3'6" gauge prototype was... That was very upsetting, the lot was burn to the ground though some of the heavy iron items survived.DSCF0283 (Medium).jpeg

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I should add the rather cute little tram motor survived the Yarloop fires. It was moved out a few weeks before hand due to bureaucratic interdiction, the people who decide if you can use a piece of rolling stock on a railway withdrew accreditation for the Yarloop railway, the motor was moved and hence saved....

Reactions: 2 users

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
On a model tram note, I have just purchased a LGB 23360 Hamburg tram set from O/S and when it arrived the motor car was displaced severely in the box and one end of it damaged as per the attached picture. The External box and the LGB carton weren’t damaged and it was adequately packed othewise. The seller advised that it was ok when sent. Obviously during the trip to OZ it was dropped or came to a sudden stop.
LGB typically doesn’t have any spares, the seller tried but was unable to help so I have repaired the break as best I can.
Does anyone have or know of a supply of spares for this tram, even parts of a similar body would be acceptable? The part specifically required is the outside, lower, front cab end.
Failing being able to obtain a replacement I probably will try to disguise the repair by covering it with an advertising sticker of some sort, there are a number of suitable sheets available from LGB and others it seems.

1532261063850.jpeg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Speaking of trams, why did Bachmann make the Peter Witt car in 1:29 scale ? Their Birneys are 1:20 or so. LGB's New Orleans car is also on the larger side. I would consider a Peter Witt or an Aristocraft PCC car if they were in the same ball park as the others.

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Los Angeles, CA / Derbyshire, UK / Frankfurt, DE
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have or know of a supply of spares for this tram... ?

Hi Monty,

Modell-Land DE has been my go to for parts and pieces when repairing LGB.
(No affiliation, just first hand experience from a guy in the US trying to find LGB spares!)

They have the part you’re looking for in stock, albeit in grey.

Heckschürze 176 E-Lok Straßenbahn LGB 20350-E323
Frontschürze 176 E-Lok Straßenbahn LGB 20350-E923

(Options with and without the LED insert)

Depending on how bad the damage was, they also have the nose interior piece if needed:
Rückwand E-Lok Straßenbahn LGB 20350-E124

It’s not the stock part for your tram colour wise, but at least this would get you a structurally sound nose that you could repaint?
(Or, buy two and have a unique paint scheme?! LOL)

I’ve found them to be pretty good about shipping and service. Sometimes takes longer than one would like for packages over the water (I think my record is about 7 weeks now), but it sure beats trying to fabricate your own repair parts from scratch! One note, I would email them first to discuss payment options - the online system is mainly set up for the German domestic practice of payment between banking accounts. (It didn’t like my US bank card.)

Your other option could be to purchase the spare part on German Ebay.

Currently two auctions for the same part are listed:

LGB Ersatzteile - LGB 1988 Zwanzig Jahre LGB - Strassenbahn Vorderteil rot | eBay
Auction #: 202371567643

LGB ERSATZTEILE - LGB 2035 2026 Strassenbahn Stirnwand rot Spur G | eBay
Auction #: 253758478129

Both take PayPal, which might ease the payment hassles.

The first auction is Buy it Now and says he ships worldwide. Sometimes eBay.de won’t let you purchase with the eBay account you have if it’s from a different country, so using your own eBay (eBay.com.au I assume) - search for the direct auction number. If the seller has truly set up to sell/ship worldwide, then the item should show in your search results.

The second seller doesn’t ship “world wide” but he does list Australia as an included country. So he may also be willing to ship to you.

Again, the wrong paint scheme - but at least you can repair the damage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Josh

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
On a model tram note, I have just purchased a LGB 23360 Hamburg tram set from O/S and when it arrived the motor car was displaced severely in the box and one end of it damaged as per the attached picture. The External box and the LGB carton weren’t damaged and it was adequately packed othewise. The seller advised that it was ok when sent. Obviously during the trip to OZ it was dropped or came to a sudden stop.
LGB typically doesn’t have any spares, the seller tried but was unable to help so I have repaired the break as best I can.
Does anyone have or know of a supply of spares for this tram, even parts of a similar body would be acceptable? The part specifically required is the outside, lower, front cab end.
Failing being able to obtain a replacement I probably will try to disguise the repair by covering it with an advertising sticker of some sort, there are a number of suitable sheets available from LGB and others it seems.

View attachment 240981
Treav,
Bad luck with this. I think that I would remove the part to press together, glue up with Liquid Plastic Glue and do some subtle weathering at that end. Likely it would almost disappear pretty well with that treatment.

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I can supply truck frames to order.
I also did some research and discovered that most of those Germanic cars used "uranium glass" in the headlight reflectors, it gives a distinct golden glow to the light colour which a German associate tells me gave improved foul weather illumination. I can supply to order copies of those headlights with an LED to order. I means you have to remove the existing globe and drill out the centre of the existing headlight to slide my contrivance in... I guess it depends on how carried away with detail you want to get...DSCF2458 (Medium).jpegDSCF2460 (Medium).jpeg

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I have had a bad few weeks. Had to put parents into care and clean out their villa. 5 x 5cu metre loads of junk taken away out of a small 2 bed retirement villa.... Anyway all that is behind me, I found 2 bottles of scotch and am proceeding to consume them but I will soon be opening the books to take "Friends of the Tramway".

For a 1 off lifetime payment of AU$17 plus post you will be entitled to friendship and will receive a custom printed HiVis vest with the tramway Logo on the front and rear along with your required status centered under the logo on the rear. You may have what ever you wish on the rear; inspector, supervisor, motorman/woman, official photographer etc etc... As any enthusiast will tell you these vests open doors, workshops, closed sites etc. Photos of the prototype will be posted soon.

Reactions: 3 users

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes. Destination Yarloop. Its also where the only 3'6" gauge prototype was... That was very upsetting, the lot was burn to the ground though some of the heavy iron items survived.View attachment 240862
I don't suppose any more detail exist about this steam tram?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I don't suppose any more detail exist about this steam tram?
The OP has not been on the forum since Feb 2019, so you are unlikely to get a response, but you may be lucky.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 235148 View attachment 235149 View attachment 235150 View attachment 235151 View attachment 235152 And now the fun begins.... Now you can see the reason I needed my carpal tunnel rectified. I now require the trolley ears as all the traction poles are up and some overhead on the No3 depot road has been partially installed. Indeed 2 cars are now sitting there with their poles on the wire waiting for the starter - he could be some time yet.
The ears are not difficult to make but they do require considerable dexterity to fabricate. I have to remove them from the sheet where I etched the 2 halves then put the tangs into the insulator bead and bend them very carefully so they are at 90 degrees. Next I use a jewelers butane torch to fuse the insulator onto the brass tangs. The flame can only hit the insulator or it will melt the brass before the glass does. They are stored in alcohol to stop them tarnishing before being soldered to the trolley wire. I hope I have enough of them - last thing I need is to have to etch another batch........
If there is an overhead section maybe this should be there?
Anyone know where the overhead line etch and insulator beads can be sourced?

Last edited:

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
It's that very link which has stirred my interest, being 3'6" its ideal for 45mm narrow gauge, and the unusual boiler makes it all the more interesting, thanks.

There were of course some actual Baldwin made steam tram motors that were 3'6" gauge as well, like this one from Queensland and this one from New Zealand. Both generally similar to the standard gauge Sydney motors, though they had 6 windows on the side of the car body instead of 5. I'm sure there were other examples elsewhere in the world as well.