I'm keen to get a setup where I can program & test decoders without having them installed in a loco.
- easy to test decoder behaviours and attach measurement devices (e.g. multimeter, oscilloscope) without fussing with the physical and electrical constraints of a particular loco
- program decoders for both testing and deployment without needing to use a loco as a test harness
- try stuff that particular locos don't support but the decoder does
- [maybe] interface for updating decoder or sound decoder firmware
- Must be able to handle 24 volts
- Must be able to handle legacy LGB 55020/55021 interface - via an adaptor is OK