Unable to read CVs on LGB 20900.1 Yellow Diesel 3005

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Have an LGB 70255 starter set which came with a steam loco (in appearance almost identical to the current LGB 20753) and a yellow diesel shunter (road number 3005, product ID 20900.1).

Both come stock with primitive LGB 55020 (steam) / 55021 (diesel) decoders. I could write these OK with the LGB 55015 handset. However, when I upgraded to a Roco z21 XL I discovered that I could read/write from steam train but not the diesel. When I opened them up and moved the decoder from the diesel to the steam I could then read/write it OK.

The 55020 decoder died, so I removed both the old decoders and replaced them with Zimo decoders, fitted with harnesses to allow them to fit into the existing LGB "direct decoder" interface. To my surprise, I experienced a similar problem - I cannot reliably read the Zimo decoder when it is fitted into the diesel. Removing it from the harness and putting it into the Zimo decoder tester it reads fine.

Note: this is a programming issue. I can run the decoder fine, I just can't read the CVs. I haven't tried writing them via the Roco.

Specific example:
* read CV1 fitted to diesel: 35 (0x23)
* read CV1 fitted to decoder tester: 3 (0x3) - this is also the correct value (I can drive the train using CV3)

It's not a massive problem since I can program the decoder in the tester, but that also involves removing the body and the decoder rather than just putting the loco on the programming track. I just wondered if anyone has any ideas as to the cause of the issues?

I do have one thought: the loco has a pair of alternatively flashing lights that run directly from track power. I wonder whether the circuit to drive those lights is causing noise that is confusing the reading. I don't know if there's a way to turn them off.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm could this be an issue with speed steps? Flashing lights often suggest this, often a difference between loco and controller can cause some light flashing. Unless the lights are ones that are supposed to flash when running located on the roof top, is that the flashing lights you describe?

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder whether the circuit to drive those lights is causing noise that is confusing the reading. I don't know if there's a way to turn them off.

Well the quick answer is find the wire(s) that feed those lights and simply cut it, then see what happens.

A slightly longer answer is to find where the lights connect to the PCB in the loco and unsolder the wire, then see what happens.

This also may help..... LGB 20900.1 and CV programming

Last edited: