Problem binding Train Engineer 5475 RX

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Did you read my page, and read the limitations on the 5474, which hold for the 5475 too, in terms of frequencies and "tracks"?

Also, did your read George's page specifically on the 5475? ART-5475 Tips

Do you have the manuals too?

Greg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confuse things. I have 3 TE handsets. The old ones with the plastic aerial are set on frequency 1, the newer one with the metal aerial is set on 2. They all work all of the receivers & are interchangeable.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, thanks for the links. I had read and reread George's page on the accessory controllers already. I have now had a look at yours and will apply when I re-assign the frequencies for the speed controllers to clear for the 5475. I will take your advise and not touch the frequency adjusters ;):D I certainly do not have the skills nor do I know anybody who does. Yes, I have the manuals for all the items, but they can be a bit sketchy, as George has noted, in some areas. Yes, the probability of two TX's, with different provenance both having difficulty binding to the same 5475 has a low level of probability but is not impossible. But that is the bit I am having difficulty reconciling in my head. I shall persevere though. I have a need for a functioning 5475. Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Standing back from this:
I would say that as 'everything else' works together, leave well-alone..

I would only consider tweaking the 5475, as it is the bit that does not function with the rest..

A competent Radio Ham may well be able to help? - Do you have anyone with a mast in their back-garden near you?
If I was still with my first Employer, I would have access to all the gear, but those days are gone, I am afraid.. :(

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Standing back from this:
I would say that as 'everything else' works together, leave well-alone..

I would only consider tweaking the 5475, as it is the bit that does not function with the rest..

A competent Radio Ham may well be able to help? - Do you have anyone with a mast in their back-garden near you?
If I was still with my first Employer, I would have access to all the gear, but those days are gone, I am afraid.. :(

It's a good point Phil but as I have a spare "good" 4571RX & 4573 TX, but only a need for one working pair, I am willing to try to re-bind the 4571 to a frequency other than #1 as it has the scanning capability that the 4575 does not. I do not have need to use either a 5475 or 5474 at present, other than for the project that promoted its purchase. I may get lucky if the 4575 is the unit that is "off frequency", as Greg suggested and I might believe. Binding wise it may work either if frequency #1 is cleared or it might have wandered off to a frequency that matches #'s 2-10. Who knows and what do I know ? Can but try. Otherwise return to sender. Pity if a "good" 5475 unit went to waste that could have been of use to another TE user in need.

I've seen one or two big twigs around nearby Bicester but I doubt they would welcome a garden railroader hoving up at their door asking it they could fix this :D Max

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Max I had a faulty Tx and visited the vintage radio forum, and received very little advice or direction, so tried some general rc outlets. Finally found one in Cornwall, sent of the tx and a couple of Rx, there for three weeks and sent back as he couldn’t do anything with them.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is so much equipment is modular, these days.. Most 'repair men' (note: I did not say 'engineer) are the equivalent of a 'Fitter' in the motor-trade, ie. not Mechanic's.

If they do not have chapter and verse, telling them what to tweak to what setting, they are lost.. :(

Me? I am now struggling with SMT technology.. The 'bits' on the boards, REALLY are 'bits'.. Teeny, tiny bits! :(:confused::rofl::rofl:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
One of the problems with the 27mhz Aristocraft transmitter/receivers not communicating is electronic noise. Noise can come from any regulated power supply and one must keep the power supply at least 4 feet from the transmitter/receiver when having programming issues. Also 18 volts input helps a lot.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I found that some units were touchy on voltage... I made a unit for a friend with a 5474 to ride in a loco, and it worked best at 12 volts.... in my experience having a regulated, filtered power supply to the Crest "receivers" made operation a lot better and consistent. I used a 3 terminal 12v regulator last time.

It takes a bit of experimentation, but an inexpensive solution if you are already using the TE system.

Greg

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
One of the problems with the 27mhz Aristocraft transmitter/receivers not communicating is electronic noise. Noise can come from any regulated power supply and one must keep the power supply at least 4 feet from the transmitter/receiver when having programming issues. Also 18 volts input helps a lot.

Thanks Dan for the tip. Just tried it, still no luck. My Crest power source has only 13.8 and 22v settings. Power cable for 5475 is long enough to get the distance. Max

swampy

Registered
9 Apr 2020
Welshpool
Best answers
Don't know if this is of use ,i bought two units a 5474 and 5475 they looked new all sealed up and very clean , i could not bind them after going round and round and reading lots on the web using batts to supply 18v one seemed to bind , i fitted to layout but it only seemed to work when it felt like it , after more reading obout frequencey i got to wondering what the FWQ button on my handset did , i have had it years and never touched it ,instructions long gone , anyway i found som how my Channel 1 was set at Fwq 4 ,i reset that to Channel One Fwq1 and the units binded no problem and work like a dream , i even rebound one to channel 0 .
Hope i am not going over old ground here ,i can not even remember where i read what and when , i have never used these mini recivers before but went for them because my old train Engineer has give years of good service and i dont want to spend on DCC .

Swampy Out

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it is old ground, but probably worth repeating to people with new problems. (this thread was almost a year old)

here is the link again that gives information on frequencies that work for the accessory receivers.

Greg