Power pick-up problem?

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
We put most of our locomotives back into their boxes and stored them for the winter, I have just started to put them beck into service. A couple of weeks ago I took the first four and placed them on the track and all four worked perfectly. One week later two of the four refused to respond to the CAB (MX 32) and the iPad with Z21, testing on the programming track they both refused to read address's and would not read or write CV's.

Now, after a second week, one has started to work normally and the other still dead. I don't believe both decoders suddenly decided to fail (one obviously didn't) my feeling this has to be a power pick-up problem. Both engines have four wheel bogies and two pick-up shoes, disregarding the two wheels with traction tyres thats a lot of potential electrical connection. I have cleaned the wheels and pick-up shoes on the non responding loco and cleaned a section of track but still no luck.

I realise this is an impossible question as there are so many variables but, is this something that happens occasionally and is there a possible fix without having to dismantle the loco?

Robin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We put most of our locomotives back into their boxes and stored them for the winter, I have just started to put them beck into service. A couple of weeks ago I took the first four and placed them on the track and all four worked perfectly. One week later two of the four refused to respond to the CAB (MX 32) and the iPad with Z21, testing on the programming track they both refused to read address's and would not read or write CV's.

Now, after a second week, one has started to work normally and the other still dead. I don't believe both decoders suddenly decided to fail (one obviously didn't) my feeling this has to be a power pick-up problem. Both engines have four wheel bogies and two pick-up shoes, disregarding the two wheels with traction tyres thats a lot of potential electrical connection. I have cleaned the wheels and pick-up shoes on the non responding loco and cleaned a section of track but still no luck.

I realise this is an impossible question as there are so many variables but, is this something that happens occasionally and is there a possible fix without having to dismantle the loco?

Robin
Well worth checking that all pickups connected. Try to check that all wheels and skates each individual side connected to each other with a Meter. A sticky plunger can often be the problem.

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Well worth checking that all pickups connected. Try to check that all wheels and skates each individual side connected to each other with a Meter. A sticky plunger can often be the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion, good idea, I will give it a try.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Check the skates are free to move up and down.. Give the surfaces that rub on the track a wipe over..

You say you cleaned the wheels? - Tyres, I assume.
Did you clean the backs of the wheels, where the carbon-brushes rub?
You don't have to get them super-shiny, but if you can run the loco upside down, cradled on your lap. You can use a cotton-bud with a little alcohol on it. Croc-clips onto the skates, should power the loco for you.

Check the carbon brushes, are not overly worn, and do not have ridges, which cause them to 'stick' in the holders.

PhilP

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil, I didn’t clean the back of the wheels but I should have thought of that. The brushes look OK but I will have a closer look. Some of our locos are quite old so probably worth looking at replacement brushes.

Croc Clips worked on another problem loco but not on this one, I will give it another try.

Robin

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Can you read CV29 to verify it is correct and matches your ipad/z21 setup.

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dan, this locomotive is not responding with the MX 31 or Z21 on the main or programming track Which is why I think it is a power problem. The other locomotive which was dead suddenly started to work so with luck this might do the same.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You have not identified the locos, but most locos have multiple paths for power pickup. To have them go out all at the same time is unusual.

I'd say open the locos, go right to the decoder with the programming track. That will QUICKLY determine if it is the decoder or the wiring.

The divide and conquer method of isolating where the problem is - is much faster.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not a isolation switch acedently moved?

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
I was hoping to avoid opening the loco but looks like I’ve no choice. I will make some continuity checks and clean the back of the wheels first and if that fails start taking thing apart.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Robin

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
I was hoping to avoid opening the loco but looks like I’ve no choice. I will make some continuity checks and clean the back of the wheels first and if that fails start taking thing apart.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Robin
The mysterious world of DCC.

Yesterday my dead loco sprang back to life and is working perfectly !!!

Probably an internal wire problem but I will keep an Eye on it for a while before resorting to surgery.

Thanks again for All the comments.

Robin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It should not happen...
But I also found, that occasionally, a loco would just 'not do anything', but if lefr for a day or so, would then miraculously work again..

I don't know whether it was the 'computer' in the decoder, or (more likely) that in the Central Station. But a 'hard-reset (no power for a couple of days) appeared to sort it.
:wondering::think::shake::shake: