Potentiometers

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
How can I wire a potentiometer into a motor circuit ? Let's say I have a 12 VDC battery, controlling a motor. Is there a way to wire the potentiometer into the circuit without getting into electronics ?

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
It's merely a variable resistor. You can wire it how you would wire any resistor, except since it has 3 terminals, it's like two resistors sharing a leg in the middle, and the resistance of each of those resistors changes depending on how you adjust it. You don't have to use all three terminals, but make sure you use the middle terminal so that the adjustments will work.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not a fan of this idea..

There is a reason tram resistor packs are on the roof, and no-one has asked what voltage battery, and what the motor current is going to be?
'Rheostats' tend to be large, and wire-wound, for a reason.

By the time you have sourced, and paid, for a wire-wound, decent wattage potentiometer, you could get a Chinese speed controller for less.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not a fan of this idea..

There is a reason tram resistor packs are on the roof, and no-one has asked what voltage battery, and what the motor current is going to be?
'Rheostats' tend to be large, and wire-wound, for a reason.

By the time you have sourced, and paid, for a wire-wound, decent wattage potentiometer, you could get a Chinese speed controller for less.
IP Engineering use a simple pot controller, and I never managed to make 'em work, usually for the questions you just asked :oops::oops:

The theory's fine, but .................... :emo::emo:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Using a potentiometer as a rheostat for simple motor control.

View attachment 253204

The add wire, if the wiper ever loses contact with the resistive strip inside the potentiometer, this connection ensures the circuit does not completely open, that there will still be a resistive path to the motor. Old potentiometers tend to suffer from intermittent losses of contact between the wiper and the resistive strip, and if a circuit cannot tolerate the complete loss of continuity (infinite resistance) created by this condition, that “extra” wire provides a measure of protection by maintaining circuit continuity.

Should add this an extremely inefficient method of motor control, surplus voltage is wasted as heat.

If you could elucidate further, an off the shelf, ready made unit, may serve your purpose better.............

This is an improvement, minimum electronics required!

View attachment 253208

Off the shelf solutions....
Add DPDT switch for reversing
View attachment 253209

The following two, used on many numerous occasions, just need to add a DPDT switch for reversing.
The second one listed is in daily use as part of the control system on the two analogue display layouts, running 24/7 365 days a year.

Then there is this mega jobbie....

Several of these have been built, including the option for Linear Control, out for testing with G Scalers around the South West, can be found via this thread post #1218.

Possible (subject to feedback) could be the control system of choice for the Analogue Layout at the Exeter Garden Rail Show in October this year.

Electronic trickery, Bluetooth and WiFi versions are also out and about for testing.........................

I've been messing with building my own circuitry for a Playmobil Atlas crane loco. I usually use G Scale Graphics Railboss to operate my motive power, but at $200.00 plus, I thought I'd go on the cheap with this project.

I have the largest motor speed control you pictured and was trying to find a place for it, along with a receiver and battery. I thought of placing it on the roof and building a shroud to cover it, but it detracts from the appearance a bit too much. Thank you for showing one of the smaller motor speed controls. I will definitely get a hold of one for this project.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil, I was hoping someone would speak up about figuring the wattage needed of the pot to handle a motor.

1 amp at 12 volts is 12 watts.... most of the pots that are about 1" in diameter are only 2 watts, sometimes 5 watts, i.e. you could literally burn one up on a small motor with very little voltage.

Greg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I thought of placing it on the roof and building a shroud to cover it,
I have one of those little speed controllers from china, and it works great. The shaft is disguised as the smoke stack/chimney. The central 'radiator' (?) is sitting on a DPDT slide switch for direction changes.

Attachments

• 20170412_113227-butch-calusa-8.jpg
    20170412_113227-butch-calusa-8.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is that an 'International Rescue' logo, I see on the side of that loco? :think::nerd::think:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Is that an 'International Rescue' logo, I see on the side of that loco? :think::nerd::think:
I dunno - is it? There is a small IR on it. It came from the UK so you might know better than me.

Attachments

• 20170406_175300-butch-sm.jpg
    20170406_175300-butch-sm.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh yus!

From 50 seconds in..
:nerd::rock::rock:

(sad, isn't it?) :rolleyes::blush:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Whoever built it.. Must have used it as a 'Thunderbird'? :giggle::giggle:

Thunderbird = Loco's manned at various places, to go drag a failed unit to safety..

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
:D:inlove:>:):rofl::rofl::rofl: