beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am not sure if this is usual but...
Got a used Playmobil RC 4016 train set for the little grandaughter when she visits. It is in good nick and works well BUT...
the range between the train and the controller is very short to work efectively. In fact the controller has to be pointed at the train from beside the tack as it goes around the circuit to make it work continuously and not stop when it gets at its furthest point (about 6 ft). There are new batteries in both the power brick and the controller.
Is this normal for this set? the circuit is about 8ft x 4ft.
She loves it but it is a bit of a drag that she has to keep pointing at the train to keep it going when she wants to do other things along the track

Mine works in the garden at about 10 metres range so i would say it's not normal. Are the crystals in the transmitter and loco definitely the same? They are colour coded and it would also be worth reading the frequencies printed on them. Unmatched crystals do exhibit the symptoms you describe. They will work the 'wrong' loco but only from very close.

Not sure what else it could be.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have four RC trains and haven't had this problem inside, even in large public rooms at displays, or outside. What I have found inside is that RSJs and other metalware in buildings can cut down the range, depending on where they are relative to the transmitter and the loco. People using mobile phones near the loco can also interfere with the transmitter signal.

I wonder if the aerial is damaged in some way? Walter Turner is the man who should know the answer.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
The range can be very short, depending on metal objects in the vicinity etc.
Indoors, I've found placing the track adjacent to a radiator caused the loco to glitch.

It's possible to extend the outdoor range slightly by using a conventional stick transmitter.
I have a couple of Acoms Tx's. They take the crystal from the Playmo handset.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks lads I will experiment. The track was near a radiator at one end but even at the other end the controller would only connect if pointed. But I did find a cure that served its purpose....I put the controller on the train!

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
...I did find a cure that served its purpose....I put the controller on the train!
Well, they do say the simple ones are the best!!