Plastic Track

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the tips tgood

That Copper Tape is ... Also very good for plant pot that has Hostas in. 2 circles if this stuff keep them well at bay though not entirely as there are always eggs inside before you use this! I think yhey get a sharpe electric shock from the Copper!
That is a good point. I've used 2 parallel loops of uninsulated copper wire around raised bed garden boxes to keep snails and slugs out. If it's a single wire, they'll just avoid touching it while crossing it, but if it's two or more about 3/4" apart, it's too uninviting for them, as they just don't like to touch copper. I imagine that the copper tape might be wide enough to get away with one loop. A good way to test this principle is to make a circle of copper (wire or tape) and put a slug or snail in the middle. Then watch and see if it leaves the circle in a straight path, or if it goes in circles inside the circle trying to find a way out without touching the copper. If it exits straight, then you can adjust your set up and try again until you find the perfect deterrent to keep the slug/snail going in circles.
cwire.jpg

-bbbb

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It's probably possible but embedding a wire into the plastic rail top securely would be difficult to do without a lot of bother. The wire would also need to be beefy enough for the current to pass through over distance.
What you could do is putt some adhesive copper tape over the plastic rail but it would eventually wear and not pass much current. It is used for copper foil technique in Tiffany style lamp shades. (edit: already mentioned).

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's probably possible but embedding a wire into the plastic rail top securely would be difficult to do without a lot of bother. The wire would also need to be beefy enough for the current to pass through over distance.
What you could do is putt some adhesive copper tape over the plastic rail but it would eventually wear and not pass much current. It is used for copper foil technique in Tiffany style lamp shades. (edit: already mentioned).
I think that the slug creates its own current on touching the 2nd loop, well that is the theory anyway.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think that the slug creates its own current on touching the 2nd loop, well that is the theory anyway.

Yes, I believe there is a potential for this to happen?
Whether they have the capacity to arch-over the strips, I am not sure..
(we need David for more puns than this) ;):giggle:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
If they get a run up and do a quick back roll, they will only get a tingle then. :D

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe they will just jump!

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
They sort of do something similar to an inchworm; lift their head up high, and curl their body to avoid the wire. But with 2 wires they can't get away with that.