G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am planning a new layout in an area that measures 4.5m x 6m (14' x 20').
It will be predominantly used for storage tracks with lines running through a roller door to an outside elevated track.

Because it will be under cover I am considering plastic track mainly because it is cheaper than brass and will not be subject to weathering.

Anybody had any experience with using flexible plastic track?

I know Train-Li in the US have it but was wondering if there are other suppliers that I could compare prices with noting I am in Australia and freight will be the killer.

If the total price + freight is more than I can buy brass from my local supplier then I will use brass.

Any help or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure that you can get a flexible plastic track, it is usually set into actual lengths and fixed curves. Will be fine for hidden parts but can be a bit of a pain to join to other types needing some sort of different fixings. I just use it for unconnected from my Layout sidings on shelves.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh never seen that before, sleepers (ties) would need to have the web cut in places to go round curves but looks like it would do the job.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty neat. I've not come across this product before. Seems like a good idea and I'm sure some of our forum members across the pond must have experience of it.

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
As it will be mainly for storage how about 1/2" aluminium screwed to the base board and where visible you could use dummy sleepers or make it like a tram way, another idea would be to bring the ground level up to rail height,using ali would be even cheaper than the combined cost of plastic rail and sleeper.
I'm sure in Aus you have equivalents of this company - www.metals4u.co.uk

Shaun

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Several of my friends have used it, works well, it is a bit slippery so no extreme grades, check with the manufacturer on which ties are treated to be UV resistant if going in the sun.. rail is UV resistant.

Greg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A friend has suggested I just use grooved plywood as I have battery powered locos.
He also suggested I build my storage area with a sector plate or two, one each end (another project to look at).

The suggestions of aluminum angle or T section attached or embedded in plywood are also worth a look at.

These seem to be the possible solutions that I will explore.

Thanks all

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
A friend has suggested I just use grooved plywood as I have battery powered locos.
He also suggested I build my storage area with a sector plate or two, one each end (another project to look at).

The suggestions of aluminum angle or T section attached or embedded in plywood are also worth a look at.

These seem to be the possible solutions that I will explore.

Thanks all

I wouldn't use plywood. Even if it's under an awning it is subject to issues of all sorts. You would be better served doing what Gregh did by using wood ties.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I do have grooved plywood in my storage cabinets. Because you are exposing the plys to the weather, you need to REALLY seal the grooves with a penetrating sealer... otherwise it will de-laminate.

Greg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I do have grooved plywood in my storage cabinets. Because you are exposing the plys to the weather, you need to REALLY seal the grooves with a penetrating sealer... otherwise it will de-laminate.

Greg

GregE/Madman

I didn't mention in my 1st post that the storage area will be inside a shed.
Because it is fully under cover I think ply will be OK, I may even go to the expense of marine ply, but it will be painted/sealed because I will be in a high humidity area.

GregH

GE- RIK's idea looks like it will do the job quite well.
I am still planning on coming up for a visit (I want to look at your storage yard) just need to organize myself after starting back at work (17 months left).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'd recommend the penetrating sealer over paint, it won't have a tendency to fill up your grooves, and will penetrate further. Remember the action of the flanges might try scraping the paint off the edges of your groove.

But, all this may be overkill, your climate might be that raw wood in a shed would be fine. My storage cabinets are outside and when you open them you can still smell the stain, and as you might guess, everything is fine.

Hope you do make it out this way!

Greg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
If you have seen the price of proper marine play, you might as well use brass track - it'll be cheaper.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Of course if you are just making Straigh Track for Sidings why not use a router to make Rail Groves Tramway Style, I did this in MDF and Pine for some Shelf Sidings. But would work with Melamine as well. Of course base material needs to be thick enough to take the grooves. Not my idea, first seen in a G Scale Shop in Munich many years ago, he had routed the grove wide enough to put some rail down as well giving a rather nice flat track testing counter. Rail of course in your case would not be necessary. These days I would have taken a pic with my Mobile Phone of it.

1to3

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
14 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
interesting... I didn't know you could get plastic rails. If you are going battery power this could save a lot!

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
This may sound an unorthodox question but has anyone tried electrifying plastic track? And before you all fall over laughing I was thinking could a piece of thin brass rod be embedded in the rail top? Just a thought from someone frugal enough to actually try it.
Sarah Winfield

Reactions: 1 user