trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
With the apparent concerns regarding the safe operation of the railway we have been donated multiple railway signals over the last few weeks. Our GPL is in and cables run with the "logic" side of the wiring ready to be connected in before the weekend.

We also have been donated a level crossing flashing light and bell which has been concreted in and is almost ready to receive power.

by Ben Calcott, on Flickr

Do you run trains at night? Bet your neighbours will love the sound of the crossing! I do like it though. It would make a good intruder alarm as well:)

BCalcott

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Do you run trains at night? Bet your neighbours will love the sound of the crossing! I do like it though. It would make a good intruder alarm as well:)

No night running yet as our resident diesel doesn't have lights. I have a locomotive on the drawing board that will have headlights.

I'm not planning on wiring up the bell. The neighbor had a concerned look as I was installing the mast.

Today we had a slight accident with the wagons Gavin had loaned us. I'll have to give him the bad news tomorrow luckily I caught the incident on camera.

Reactions: 3 users

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
When I said I was thinking about weathering, I didn't expect the weather satellite to come falling on them.

Oddly enough, I've seen that technique applied before.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
No night running yet as our resident diesel doesn't have lights. I have a locomotive on the drawing board that will have headlights.

I'm not planning on wiring up the bell. The neighbor had a concerned look as I was installing the mast.

Today we had a slight accident with the wagons Gavin had loaned us. I'll have to give him the bad news tomorrow luckily I caught the incident on camera.

Yeh! good one! With the caveat that no tipper trucks were actually harmed during the making of this video:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Yeh! good one! With the caveat that no tipper trucks were actually harmed during the making of this video:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can confirm that there were no tippers harmed in the making of this video.

SWMBO planted a Hebe on the railway yesterday which nicely fills a gap. Weather forecast is looking ok for this weekend so we should have some more photos of the layout come Monday.

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
We had a number of visitors to the garden railway as part of the layout tours over the weekend. They got to see the extension to the garden that's underway to accommodate the GPL signal. This garden extension is looking quite good with a bit of a cutting being formed for the railway. We also pulled the jigger (speeder) out for the visitors to look at which provided a playground to keep Zac and Alec entertained over the weekend.

Layout tour Easter weekend 2016

After the visitors had gone I couldn't resist seeing how the backyard would be lit up at night with the recent addition of the signals. We have 3 more signals on the way to complete the signalling system for now...

Signals at night

Reactions: 1 users

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Alec, Zac and I did some winter running yesterday and today. Zac's LGB engine is suffering from stripped gears so we're down to one operable engine and the railcar. I've been using boiling salt water for weedspray as it is child friendly and it seems to be working well in the areas I've applied it around the brick edging.

Winter running June 2016

Winter running June 17 2016

Reactions: 2 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:wait: I believe Ben has some photos to share with us.....

I've dug up his thread so it will be easier to find it on p.1 :angel:

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Been busy working on the railway the past few weeks here's a quick photo update:

Safety first we issued a special order to cover our Health and Safety at Work Act obligations

Special Order No.255

The start of the deviation

We've been given a couple of Mamod traction engines that look good sitting line side when we're not steaming then.

Work train passing the roller

The branch line is out of use at the moment as we needed the track to complete the mainline. I'll order replacement track as funds permit.

Temporarily removed track from the branch line

Here's an overall shot showing the extension.

track down and plants in

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
A starter for 10 points, as the Quizmaster would always say....

DSC_0536 - Copy.JPG

Popped around to Ben's before the Wellington Group running day with a bit of extra track. Ten minuites before the Umpire called play, we had finished putting in two extra sidings (temporary).

Stand by for the action packed second innings, it's tea time, and I'm cooking.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0540 - Copy.JPG

Coming to you in widescreen 'Gavivision', a scene on Pine Valley during today's Wellington Group session.
My O&K with tipplers (they pass very nicely for7/8ths as well), and Chris D's W&MR passenger train. The siding was a temporary one for the day..... proof of concept, as they say. It will become permanent after Ben's next track purchase.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0538 (2).JPG

1,000 words.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0537 (2).JPG

... and as the sun sets (very) slowly in the west, Gav and his camera say farewell (until next time) to the Pine Valley Estate Railway.

Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0400 - Copy.JPG

Some of the Pine Valley stock during an away match at Taita Gorge.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0405.JPG

Members of the Wellington Group, relaxing.

DSC_0402.JPG

Ben's scratchbuilt 7/8ths Critter pauses outside the new tunnel on Pine Valley Railway.

DSC_0403.JPG

Ben is a recent convert to the hot side. This little beauty ran flawlessly.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0404.JPG

Ben's got a rake of Slaters 7/8ths hoppers, I've got a rake of LGB ones. I long suspected that I could getaway with mine as 7/8ths.
Now, If I can figure out how to swap out the wheelsets, I think I'll put in small Bachmann steel wheels (if they fit), and change over to link and pin couplers, then paint and weather.
Open for discussion,

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excelent shot for comparison between the LGB and Slaters offerings..

What is the Slater hopper made from, please?
PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 251005

Ben's got a rake of Slaters 7/8ths hoppers, I've got a rake of LGB ones. I long suspected that I could getaway with mine as 7/8ths.
Now, If I can figure out how to swap out the wheelsets, I think I'll put in small Bachmann steel wheels (if they fit), and change over to link and pin couplers, then paint and weather.
Open for discussion,
Also worth some distressing, yonks ago I did mine with serious abuse from a Soldering Iron. But not the Tip the hot warm bit between the Handle and the Bit. Oh do it outdoors and a bit at a time.