Pine Valley Estate Railway

BCalcott

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Phil,
I used Selleys Liquid Nails Landscape so it should last also the wall is only 3 bricks high so it's not retaining to much.

http://www.selleys.co.nz/adhesives/construction/landscape-adhesive/liquid-nails/

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Slow progress over winter but here's we have been up to. Control panel for isolating the siding and the main/loop is under construction I need to get a project box to mount the switches in and it will be wired shortly after that. We've had trains running with clip lead jumpers but I want to get the wires soldered in. I've been given a reel of 4mm cable that we'll be using for the track leads.

First photo shows Zac painting a mine tub for the layout. We're currently short of rolling stock but plan on building about 3 wagons based on this laser cut chassis I got laser cut with SVE wheel sets.

Rolling stock by Ben Calcott, on Flickr

Second picture shows the mine tub in undercoat next to a buffer stop we built for the siding. The buffer is soldered up from Atlas O gauge rail and bits of brass from my junk box.

Mine tub and buffer stop by Ben Calcott, on Flickr

Third picture shows the first ballast lay. We're using 10mm chip that we can get locally, I tried finding 6mm chip but it doesn't seem to be stocked anywhere and the 10mm chip looks ok.

Ballast by Ben Calcott, on Flickr

Reactions: 3 users

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Hi Ben, some good progress there.
Give me a call and I can source some suitable GAP7 bedding sand for you, Gav will give you my phone number, or you'll find it in the Garden Whistle.

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Hi Ben, some good progress there.
Give me a call and I can source some suitable GAP7 bedding sand for you, Gav will give you my phone number, or you'll find it in the Garden Whistle.

John,
Our representative in track engineering services has convinced me that 10mm chip is the way to go. He has cited advantages in performance of the 10mm chip although he does admit GAP7 looks better.

He keeps threatening me with having a running day once its operational as well.

Cheers,
Ben

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Been working on the railway this week and had the first trains running under their own power.

Above is the overall view of the layout as it stands. I've put some rocks around some of the plants to try and protect them from some of the giants that enjoy playing in the garden. We also need to get some taller plants to give it some vertical elements.

This is our crossing loop with the Stainz on the main line and the 7/8th consist sitting on the loop. The 7/8th wagon is the scratch built chocolate box min tub.

7/8th diesel wai
ting on the loop. Zacs dynamite wagon on the rear of the mainline train.

LGB Stainz with the Dynamite wagon approaching the station turnout.

The consist passing a gangers hut on the back straight.

Reactions: 4 users

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
... and the running day is ?

I'm sure others will join me in saying well done.

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
... and the running day is ?

I'm sure others will join me in saying well done.

Trains are scheduled to run on fine days until further notice. You're welcome to bring something over to run anytime.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
looks great:)

Reactions: 1 user

JRinTawa

25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Good Stuff.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
The detail on these figures is great, esp. the faces. Did they come painted, or did you paint them?

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
The detail on these figures is great, esp. the faces. Did they come painted, or did you paint them?

A friend painted them for me. If I had painted them they would be nowhere near this good.

JRinTawa

25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
They look great Ben

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
They're from Richard Kapuaala at scalehumans.com

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Great. Perhaps an example of you get what you pay for.

BCalcott

26 Mar 2015
Upper Hutt
Best answers
Two new wagons have arrived in kitset form and are currently being erected in the Estates workshops. It is hoped that these wagons will bring additional revenue to the Estate by increasing capacity on the general goods service. The wagons have been purchased from the Modellers Warehouse and are of their standard type although the workshops will make some minor modifications to meet the Estates requirements. The new 5 plank wagon has been rolled out of the workshop and will be the first to enter service when some additional parts arrive.

new 5 plank wagon under construction by Ben Calcott, on Flickr

dry fit of the new guardsvan by Ben Calcott, on Flickr

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Rumours circulating that there has been a massive, if temporary, increase in rolling stock on the Pine Valley line.

We await the photos........

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rumours circulating that there has been a massive, if temporary, increase in rolling stock on the Pine Valley line.

We await the photos........

Hummm..
'Pine Valley line..' - Has to be Christmas trees!! :giggle::giggle::giggle: