PIKO Refinery Build on three baseplates

POLO_Train

Registered
10 Mar 2020
Atlanta, GA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is doing well and being safe.
I am currently building the full PIKO Refinery for my future layout. I am trying to test fit all the peices of the cracking, burn off plant, walkways, and pipes on three base plates (I will square everything when ready to glue down). I have not found much, and I am curious if anyone else has any nice pictures of the refinery builds?

Also, I want to add as much lighting to the refinery on the different platforms, but the PIKO lights don't look good or scaled on the upper levels and I am settling on the three street lamps for now. Has anyone found any smaller light fixtures in gray that I could add to the different platforms?

I am also testing all my glues because the center of gravity of those two will need the glue to really hold it down. I will post it up on my previous thread.

IMG_3348.jpeg

IMG_3350.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ouch just had a look at the collective price of the two kits from Topslots probably the best value one can get in UK. Ouch!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Ouch just had a look at the collective price of the two kits from Topslots probably the best value one can get in UK. Ouch!
Yes I was just looking at the PIKO gravel loader as my grandkids would love playing with that but the price is a bit beyond a nice idea, even from topslots.

POLO_Train

Registered
10 Mar 2020
Atlanta, GA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys,
The tanks are up next, but I am going to need to buy some more base plates as they sit on 6 of them for

IMG_3339.jpeg

I shaved a little too much off the pipe base connector, but it should do.

IMG_3363.jpeg

Also test fitting the ladder to align with the top fence:

IMG_3364.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Vats looking great!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It may be expensive, but it is making-up into a seriously large model! :eek::)

POLO_Train

Registered
10 Mar 2020
Atlanta, GA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I messed up, the PIKO Fixit glue bubbled the paint on the PIKO tank. I am going to need to rethink the glue for the rest of the tanks, but the refinery is coming together. I also forgot that I had extra-base plates, but now it is coming together.

IMG_3376.jpeg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It may be expensive, but it is making-up into a seriously large model! :eek::)
One (all 3 kits) would look great with my fuel train siding plus I guess that I could justify one on the basis of ‘you cant take it with you’, but by the looks of the size of it I doubt I could fit any part of it in.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
That looks like a lot of weight on the tank. What are you holding down that needs that much weight? Looks very nice.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Also, I want to add as much lighting to the refinery on the different platforms, but the PIKO lights don't look good or scaled on the upper levels and I am settling on the three street lamps for now. Has anyone found any smaller light fixtures in gray that I could add to the different platforms?
Beli-Beco make some nice fixtures. I've used some of their 1 gauge lights for exterior building lights. I like the scale of them better in many situations, pun intended. The one in the pic is a #122561. The labels say 3V but they come with the resistors and a diode to use them with 16V ac. These are black but could be painted. Also take look at what's available in O gauge. You might find something there.

Beli - 1.jpeg

POLO_Train

Registered
10 Mar 2020
Atlanta, GA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry for the delay, I have been tied down with work and home projects.
Thank you for the lamp ideas, but I am not sure if any of their products will fit. They look great and better for the scale and I booked marked them for future builds. I still have no idea how to light up these bastards.
The past two nights I was only able to complete the high silo.
I wanted to get the rails to line up with the ladder, and it took some time to get to them aligned while cutting away, also I had to saw off a 1/4" off the bottom of the pipe to get it to fit.

I am curious, how I could make the 6 baseplates for the silos rigid so that I could move them from the build space to the layout.

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry for the delay, I have been tied down with work and home projects.
Thank you for the lamp ideas, but I am not sure if any of their products will fit. They look great and better for the scale and I booked marked them for future builds. I still have no idea how to light up these bastards.
The past two nights I was only able to complete the high silo.
I wanted to get the rails to line up with the ladder, and it took some time to get to them aligned while cutting away, also I had to saw off a 1/4" off the bottom of the pipe to get it to fit.

I am curious, how I could make the 6 baseplates for the silos rigid so that I could move them from the build space to the layout.

View attachment 270237

View attachment 270236
Do you mean what with or where should the lights be? I just googled ’pictures of oil refinery at dusk’ and got lots of pictures, appears that they have a lot of lights!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
How about some small nuts and bolts joining the facing sides of the base plates? Glue probably wouldn't hack it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think with the size / weight / number of baseplates..
You will need to notch the joining edges to get some reinforcement across the plates? - Timber, or possibly better, Aluminium-angle should do the job. :wondering: