PIKO G-scale 2011

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
New items from PIKO:

See www.gscalenews.com/piko.html --> "PIKO new items" link for the complete brochure.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Deutsche Reichsbahn said:
New items from PIKO:

Very interesting. Thank you! :clap:

To be honest, there's nothing in the new stock which grabs me (though a rake of those Silverfish coaches would be impressive!), but the curved points and Piko DCC booster are of great interest.

Anyone seen any LGB/Marklin plans for 2011?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed Peter. I does look as though they are continuing sown the stadard gauge route despite the obviouse success of the 199. Still, the Croc looks good but not sure on the detailing of that American Mogul - looks crude but its only a photo so we will see.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep said:
New items from PIKO:

Very interesting. Thank you! :clap:

To be honest, there's nothing in the new stock which grabs me (though a rake of those Silverfish coaches would be impressive!), but the curved points and Piko DCC booster are of great interest.

Anyone seen any LGB/Marklin plans for 2011?
Not yet, can't take long anymore I think. Maybe tomorrow.

(Edited by Mod Whatlep to remove obsolete links)

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
stockers said:
Agreed Peter. I does look as though they are continuing sown the stadard gauge route despite the obviouse success of the 199. Still, the Croc looks good but not sure on the detailing of that American Mogul - looks crude but its only a photo so we will see.

More narrow gauge will be for 2012 then, I hope.
They listened quite well to their costumers though, a lot of people asked for the silver coaches and now they are here. Good job from PIKO!!

Mogul doesn't look that good indeed, hope they make a Christmas edition of it. I need a simple Christmas loco :D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stockers said:
not sure on the detailing of that American Mogul - looks crude but its only a photo so we will see.

Know what you mean. Valve gear appears to be as crude as the BR80.

Intriguing that Piko are so clearly pursuing the US and German standard gauge market. Perhaps I am simply out of tune with the wider marketplace in wanting more narrow gauge items? :thinking:

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep said:
stockers said:
not sure on the detailing of that American Mogul - looks crude but its only a photo so we will see.

Know what you mean. Valve gear appears to be as crude as the BR80.

Intriguing that Piko are so clearly pursuing the US and German standard gauge market. Perhaps I am simply out of tune with the wider marketplace in wanting more narrow gauge items? :thinking:

This is my view:

Märklin-LGB still has a dept of 60 million so the chance the company dies next year is still very big. Maybe PIKO waits for it to die and to buy LGB from Märklin very cheap so they have their narrow gauge market.

PIKO is capable of buying LGB anyway, they just don't want it at the moment.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I think you have hit nail on the head, Piko are playing a waiting game, that scale of debt takes a lot of shifting

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Interesting stuff. Nothing there for me I'm afraid, but thanks for posting.

Personally I reckon Piko would make a better job of managing the LGB brand than Marklin has.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
This is my view:

Märklin-LGB still has a dept of 60 million so the chance the company dies next year is still very big. Maybe PIKO waits for it to die and to buy LGB from Märklin very cheap so they have their narrow gauge market.

That's a very interesting perspective on the situation.

I hope the analysis proves wrong, but given Piko's evident superiority in business acumen I won't be amazed if you are 100% correct!

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
The curved point would be very useful, but is the R3 as in LGB R3..... being as a Piko R5 is R3.... so to speak!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:
The curved point would be very useful, but is the R3 as in LGB R3..... being as a Piko R5 is R3.... so to speak!

It's Piko R3: in other words 920mm radius. I assume that using two of the points together will produce tracks 160mm apart, that being Piko's universal centre-centre dimension. It may also be a pointer towards the introduction of Piko R2 at 760mm. Piko's track geometry has been particularly well designed to allow for both R2 and R4 in their scheme seamlessly. See the overall geometry here and, in particular, the lowest diagram: http://www.piko.de/produkt_db/check.php?page=g-geometriebeispiele&grand_id=6&parent_id=3&sss=3

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep said:
This is my view:

That's a very interesting perspective on the situation.

I hope the analysis proves wrong, but given Piko's evident superiority in business acumen I won't be amazed if you are 100% correct!

Time will tell...

whatlep said:
New Haven Neil said:

It's Piko R3: in other words 920mm radius. I assume that using two of the points together will produce tracks 160mm apart, that being Piko's universal centre-centre dimension. It may also be a pointer towards the introduction of Piko R2 at 760mm. Piko's track geometry has been particularly well designed to allow for both R2 and R4 in their scheme seamlessly. See the overall geometry here and, in particular, the lowest diagram: http://www.piko.de/produkt_db/check.php?page=g-geometriebeispiele&grand_id=6&parent_id=3&sss=3

Their track geometry is brilliant imo!
It's a shame they don't have the R3 switches yet. I need them!!! :D
The doppelkreuzungsweiche and Y-switch were announced already three years ago but still not produced :(

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Indeed the curved points create the 160mm spacing between the tracks.

pikoboogwissel.png

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Its about time they did a US loco, after all, they've done stock for years! with only a horrible set engine.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear, a 194.............!

Will be interesting to see what the selling price of that is in the UK, but certainly something I would consider buying (as well as the Silberlinge coaches)

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Dam. Like the lock of the Croc type loco. Hopefully it will have decent pantagraphs (not sure on spelling). Long as it comes with narrow gauge buffer beams.

As commented its mostly standard gauge, but many people dont mind and at least its not over priced.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]The PIKO USA range to me is always very basic and lack lustre and usually more expensive than the LGB types, a case in point is that ore care, I have six of them all by different makers and none of them is as good as my lionel ore car, and I can buy a better detailed LGB ore car for less than a PIKO, I notice there is listed a two bay hopper, that looks very much like the old MDC I think,if they can afford to wait out and do a takeover surely they can afford some decent USA types,

d2073c341fb34aba8b5c5e9f397f8296.jpg

[/align]

[attachment deleted by admin]

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
I really like the look of that Mogul !!! Hopefully that will sell better than the Tanker, I personally liked the tanker, sure it needed more detail but it did run well once the wheel flange issue was delt with.