Piko Diesel Switcher

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Does anyone have intentions to buy this new Piko Diesel switcher coming out the end of October? Piko | Piko #38502 Blue Goose 25 Ton Diesel Switcher
There's a track cleaning version which is battery powered then the other two models which are track powered. I'm planning to get one and repaint & letter for the P&W, as they have one numbered 150. Mostly just curious. I haven't yet decided if I want the track cleaner or not. I'm leaning towards not, as I would have to modify it immediately to actually be able to run shunting operations with it.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit that it's not on my list of purchases. I've virtually abandoned track power and switched over to full battery and live steam operation.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit that it's not on my list of purchases. I've virtually abandoned track power and switched over to full battery and live steam operation.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
That's how Id like to be running, Casey. If I buy one Ill be converting it, like I am with my Forney. Perhaps I should buy the battery powered one and I wont have to worry about fitting batteries.

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I was reading this, but the batteries are small, AAA is what I was told. Switching operations draw a lot of current because starting and stopping.

This is a pretty small loco for switching, something that small would want power and weight unless you only move 1 or 2 cars in your switching operations.

Did you also notice that the track cleaning one costs more?

Greg

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Do you think it won't work well, Greg? I did notice the track cleaner costs more. Another thing to consider...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The track cleaner supposedly has a track/battery switch..
The cleaning is just pads rubbing on the track.

I intend to purchase one, as a basis for battery RC. - I am hoping the 'cleaning' attachment is just that, an attachment.
I am going for this version, as it is the colour (color) I want. :)

Intention is to make it a 'proper' battery RC job. :nod::nod:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
The track cleaner supposedly has a track/battery switch..
The cleaning is just pads rubbing on the track.

I intend to purchase one, as a basis for battery RC. - I am hoping the 'cleaning' attachment is just that, an attachment.
I am going for this version, as it is the colour (color) I want. :)

Intention is to make it a 'proper' battery RC job. :nod::nod:
Fantastic, Phil! I certainly won't be buying one right away, since I don't have a railroad. So, perhaps when you do you'll be able to provide a bit of info on the details. I can't find dimensions on it, and I'm hoping its not too small to fit the required hardware in the model.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, where did you get the information about a track/battery switch? I have several emails with Jonathan Meador, head of Piko-America and there was no mention of such, and there was other detailed information about spaces for a speaker, decoder, smoke unit, and mounting Kadee couplers.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, where did you get the information about a track/battery switch? I have several emails with Jonathan Meador, head of Piko-America and there was no mention of such, and there was other detailed information about spaces for a speaker, decoder, smoke unit, and mounting Kadee couplers.

Greg

Greg,
I am pretty sure it was in the 'New items' video that was in the other thread talking about this loco??

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you are referring to the trainworld video, he mentions an on/off/reverse switch on the bottom at 13:38.... earlier he mentions battery only...

also he mentions the cleaning shoes are where the power pickup sliders normally are... the lesser power pickup would not make a good running track powered loco anyway.

I've even confirmed the "mesh type" of cleaning pad used. Jonathan is in our local garden railway club.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My bad then..

It won't affect what I want one for, though..

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Perhaps I'll get the blue one then, and rewire it as I see fit...

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
We've examined this to death in the US, believe me!, down to capturing frames from video of it's first display to see the "cleaning system" which is merely what we call "drywall sandpaper"... The cool thing is that the "normal" one would be nice for a DCC conversion with the spaces they dedicated for a speaker and decoder.

Greg

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
We've examined this to death in the US, believe me!, down to capturing frames from video of it's first display to see the "cleaning system" which is merely what we call "drywall sandpaper"... The cool thing is that the "normal" one would be nice for a DCC conversion with the spaces they dedicated for a speaker and decoder.

Greg
Knowing there is space in one is great. Batteries could be difficult, but maybe I can find a small enough one somewhere...

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The battery powered one only has room for 6 AAA batteries, the front of the hood slides up and there is a battery "holder" in there.

To get more battery you would probably use the space under the cab roof which is where a speaker can go, some LiPo flat packs, or perhaps you can stuff LiIons where the current pack is. The problem is the electronics, but you should be able to use HO electronics, as the motor cannot be very "power hungry".

I don't know what remote controls you use, so won't speculate further.

Greg

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I could make that work. Thanks for the info, Greg!
I'm waiting for the arrival of my first RC system from Phil, actually. Its a good size for somethin like this, Id say

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone got one yet? Curious.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, Gizzy bought one on Sunday and we watched it rocketing across his little Hardyard layout! He posted a couple of pics on another thread, can't recall which one offhand.

It is definitely battery ONLY, no track power option - it has traction tyres on all four wheels.

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone got one yet? Curious.
i got a Blue one from Tops n Slots arrived last Saturday. Already in bits with some pics in the Battery Thread if you have not seen them. Doh I put em in the wrong Thread! No review on the running as it was in bits before running, only test run on wires as it will in the fullness of time be Battery Operated with RC hence why I got the cheepest that I could find in the UK.