Piko Clean Machine

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
I was given a Visa gift card, and with nothing else on the list, I put it toward a Piko Clean Machine from Trainworld. Now I just have to wait for it to get here so I can see how well it does on my track.

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
Depends how dirty your track is, give the track a good clean first and this little loco will do well. I have had one since release in the uk and it goes out most days, weather permiting, and helps to keep the track surface just right and has cut down the useage of the lgb track cleaner, a set of recharged batteries last around 2 hours. One of the pads has just started to split so I reckon it will go through two sets (as supplied) per summer. Great machine!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just noticed in the July issue of Garden Rail (Gaugemaster Add Page 27) that Piko appears to be adding Battery RC to 3 of these 25Tonners which includes the Track Cleaner. Not seen this before and looking at Topslots they list them. I find this to be a very interesting development and wonder just how far Piko will go with Battery Power. Prices are just under the £300 mark for these 25Tonners.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Just noticed in the July issue of Garden Rail (Gaugemaster Add Page 27) that Piko appears to be adding Battery RC to 3 of these 25Tonners which includes the Track Cleaner. Not seen this before and looking at Topslots they list them. I find this to be a very interesting development and wonder just how far Piko will go with Battery Power. Prices are just under the £300 mark for these 25Tonners.

Jon, Piko announced this in amongst their 2019 New Releases end of last year. I immediately cancelled my pre-order for original loco and replaced it with a pre-order for the RC version. Will post on here when it arrives and have given it a run round the track.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, there's even a discussion somewhere here on the radio controlled one... after all the discussion surprised you missed this one... it was dominating the forum for a while.

At the time, I was under the impression that the R/C ones were imminent, but appears they are taking some time...

Greg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, there's even a discussion somewhere here on the radio controlled one... after all the discussion surprised you missed this one... it was dominating the forum for a while.

At the time, I was under the impression that the R/C ones were imminent, but appears they are taking some time...

Greg
Do remember the 25T’er dominating things for a while but not the fact that they were doing RC ones. Oh well. But Glad I did mine as I did, I doubt the standard RC one will be able to have Sound Functions linking to a My Loco Sound like I managed to shoe horn in.

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
I ran it for a couple of hours when it came in the other day, and went through two sets of Duracell AAA batteries. Did a fair job on the filthy section of track. Now it's been running on NiMH rechargeables for two hours and is starting to run down. When I change the batteries out for the set on the charger, I'll change out the pads as well. I want to totally run the batteries out before putting them back on the charger. More on this later.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So far your battery life parallels other's, so that is good. Will be interested on the wear on the pads, to me they seemed a little small, i.e. would not last real long due to small amount of material.

Greg

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
The 900 MAh NiMH batteries ran two hours, twenty minutes from a full charge. Total run time on pads is roughly four hours. I'll post pics of new pads versus old pads in a bit.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The 900 MAh NiMH batteries ran two hours, twenty minutes from a full charge. Total run time on pads is roughly four hours. I'll post pics of new pads versus old pads in a bit.

My Battery Radio Controlled one lasts much longer than that but it does have 10 AAA Rechargeable Cell Pack stuffed in with My Loco Sound as well. Had I have wanted to I guess that the Battery Clean Machine would have made things a little easier on the Conversion, but a Track Powered one was cheaper and I had no need of Track Cleaning. Link to my thread on the Conversion:-

I have already noted that Piko is offering a RC Version of the Clean Machine and others. Will be interested to hear how well they last on Battery Power.

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
After 4 hours running, I can't feel the difference between the old pads and the new set.

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
Here is a shot of brand new pads next to pads that ran four hours over filthy track. to be honest, to the touch, they didn't feel much different.

48252432652_af7cc075a1_b.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here is a shot of brand new pads next to pads that ran four hours over filthy track. to be honest, to the touch, they didn't feel much different.

48252432652_af7cc075a1_b.jpg
Looking at those Pads (this is the first close up I have seen of them) they appear somewhat abrasive to my eye, possibly causing small scrape marks. For my Money if I were still into Track Power I find the LGB Cleaning Block much kinder.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They look worse than they are Jon..
The pressure from the 'pickup-springs' is very light, hence it takes some-time to clean the track.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
What is the verdict on this loco ?
Thumbs up ?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am also very happy with mine, (not the clean machine) it gets a regular turn on operating days populating the layout with long strings of wagons. 36 axles worth sometimes.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
AAA cells are never going to get you far :oops:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I brought one for Mizzy. (Chief PW Engineer!)

Seems to run for a while on its batteries, although I will look at the Strikalite offering....