Piko #36221 Steam Sound Unit

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone installed one of these sound units in a loco that is battery powered and controlled by one of the R/C products out there ?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone installed one of these sound units in a loco that is battery powered and controlled by one of the R/C products out there ?
Do you mean Piko?
JonD

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
If he means Biko is it a sound unit that makes anti-apartheid speeches? :nerd:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it's Piko not Biko. Sorry about that. So the sound unit works on DC track power. But I noticed he mentioned a decoder circuit board at 9:20. I'm not at all familiar with decoders so why would one be needed if you were running straight DC ? Also, something I did not mention in my initial post was that the R/C equipment I use puts out PWM to the motor. Some LGB steam sound boards don't work with PWM. They start off at fast chuff and stay that way even when the loco is slowing down. One exception is the LGB motorized sound tender. It works perfectly with my R/C board.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
The video above shows the [HASHTAG]#36220[/HASHTAG] soundkit, which is for both DC and DCC (and more expensive). It is different from the [HASHTAG]#36221[/HASHTAG], which is for analogue use only.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Last year I fitted Piko sound units to three locos for a mate. The units he provided needed to be plugged into SUSI sockets so I also fitted suitable DCC decoders. Even though these decoders were set up as analogue compatible the sound only worked on DCC. No problem as far as he was concerned but it suggests further research may be required in your case.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I believe (though I stand to be corrected if someone knows better) that the Piko sound units - at least the DCC ones - are rebadged Uhlenbrock sound cards, and as Neil mentions above will only function when plugged into the SUSI port of a suitably equipped decoder. No experience of the analogue versions, sorry.

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it's Piko not Biko. Sorry about that.
No worries, if you have a mind to you can update the Thread Title. Just choose Edit then More Options and the Title is available to update. Took me ages to work out his to find it. Only you or a Mid can do it.
JonD

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Dan,

You would be better off selling the PIko unit on eBay and purchasing a MyLocoSound soundcard which is designed for analogue DC, both trackpower and battery radio control, leaving some money left over.

Apologies for my vested interests but I thought it worth saying.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Reactions: 1 user