Piko 0-6-0 Santa FE Loco and Tender Now With Sound

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everybody. My Piko Sante Fe 0-6-0 now has sound and smoke added to it. Smoke by Seuthe 5 generator. Sound via PIko's #36220 sound kit. A very easy install wit possibly a few bugs as you'll see and hear in this video:
Enjoy!
Andrew

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,everybody! I had a nice conversation with the good folks at Piko's office in San Diego a few minutes ago. All the issues that I am experiencing with this unit (and my camelback, which does the exact same things as this one does!)are being caused by my vintage Lionel transformer #4060, which at some 32 years of age, is not up to the challenge of powering these new,modern trains. It works great for my Bachmann,Lionel,Kalamazoo,and Hartland locomotive,but for Piko and LGB,it is inadequate, and I will not be running the Piko locomotives until I can afford a better power supply.
Later!
Andrew

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks,Bill. But I'm not comfortable with that idea. It sounds good, but I'm afraid of doing damage to my trains. Or worse.I'm currently thinking about going with something a little safer.
I definitely need to do a lot more research before deciding on my next power supply!
Andrew

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, not to try to change your mind, but I have used such supplies for years with no danger.

The key point, is you are starting out with DC already, so even if the controller craps out, you pass full, safe, DC to your locos. The chance of damage is no greater, in fact it is safer than many transformers. Many inexpensive transformers will put out AC if something internal fails.

So, I encourage you to keep exploring your options, but also please appreciate good advice when you get it too.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The power supplies alluded to above, may seem big and scary, but they are industrial units, rated for continuous use, and there are many thousands of them in all sorts of applications around the world.
Good solid performers, and will most-likely, still be going strong when it comes time to give up the railroad?

Always buy the best tools! :nerd:
They will last, and give good service.

Reactions: 1 user

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the great advice, Greg and Phil. I will continue to consider all options, including Bill's suggestion. I'm taking my time so that I can make an informed decision that will work the best for my needs.
Thanks again!
Andrew