Pictures of weathered LGB bridges?

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I'm looking to add a bit more realism to some grey and plastic-y looking LGB bridges. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs for inspiration?

I've started the smaller 50600. I feel that's going okay because it's mostly wood-effect, which I've tackled before.
I'm struggling more to know how to start the larger 50610 as it's all 'steel' which is not something I've tried yet.

I don't want to do anything amazing, just stick with what I'm comfortable with; Ideally just airbrush some basic patches onto it, to get something like this
lgb-5061-weathered-foot-plastic_2_aec83ed0fbdaba99fa824840b1997fb0.jpglgb-5061-weathered-foot-plastic_1_aec83ed0fbdaba99fa824840b1997fb0.jpg

If there's a Tamiya colour that'd get me close to that, so much the better!

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Here are some pics of my LGB bridges. They are just rattle can painted with plastic compatible spray paint. The weathering is natural (they've been exposed year-round for 4 years now). Just painting the "steel" dark green, which is a typical rust preventative color that might be used, gets rid of the plastic look.

The first pic is of my three through truss girder bridges(LGB 50610). It also shows one of the approach pony truss spans (LGB 50600).

bridges - 1.jpeg

Groucho, the track supervisor chose a bad place to sleep on the job.

The bridge piers, also LGB, are rattle can painted with a sandstone colored textured paint. All the bridges and pier sections were carefully cleaned prior to painting to promote good adhesion.

These are some of the paints I used, and two closer shots of a couple of pony truss spans. One freshly painted and one that had been outside for a few years.

bridges - 1 (1).jpegbridges - 1 (3).jpegbridges - 1 (4).jpeg

I ran out of the brown on another project so didn't have that can to show. I painted the brown first, let it dry overnight then masked the "wood" and sprayed on the green. I ran out of Testor's Dull Cote before I could finish spraying the span on the left above. I got the wood but not the steel. I bought the Matt Clear Varnish to try instead of Dull Cote, but never got around to spraying it on. It is much, much cheaper than Dull Cote and Rust-olium owns Testor's so I thought it should be quite similar.

The next shot gives a better comparison of new and naturally weathered.

bridges - 1 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure that's not a mountain lion there Phil?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thats brilliant! Thanks for the information and pictures Phil, it's just what I needed.

I like the colours you used and its really interesting to see how the colours have weathered down

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
  • Haha

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure that's not a mountain lion there Phil?
Wasn't sure what Paul was referring to. I didn't notice Tiger till looking more carefully at the picture! But Jimmy's got the name right - that is a cat we call Tiger snoozing above the tunnel. These are two of our community cats. I hesitate to call them feral. The local humane society has a Trap, Neuter, and Return (TNR) program to help keep the population in check. They loan out live traps and charge $25/cat to neuter and give cats rabies and distemper shots. These are two of about a dozen in the local cat colony. Most of them are fixed now and I haven't seen any kittens in over a year.