Perfect Plastic Putty

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi

9a0b7bd3e37a48c09e82201126bc8947.jpg

This acrylic filler is as the photo and made by Deluxe materials; it holds 40ml, and is ref number BD44.

I have been using it for some time as a finishing coat above the cheaper (DIY) fillers, as it is quite expensive.

Its very good, (I apply it with the edge of a knife blade, though a nozzle is supplied with it) is thinnable with water, and sets fast.

Mine came from the makers by post but is beginning to appear in the shops now, a guide price if £4.50 + post, and the web has quite a lot of other reviews for it

The makers own You Tube is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stLzShlnrEk

and the Military Modelling review is at

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/perfect-plastic-putty/10733 < Link To http://www.militarymodell...ct-plastic-putty/10733

I like it.

Yours Peter.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi

9a0b7bd3e37a48c09e82201126bc8947.jpg

This acrylic filler is as the photo and made by Deluxe materials; it holds 40ml, and is ref number BD44.

I have been using it for some time as a finishing coat above the cheaper (DIY) fillers, as it is quite expensive.

Its very good, (I apply it with the edge of a knife blade, though a nozzle is supplied with it) is thinnable with water, and sets fast.

Mine came from the makers by post but is beginning to appear in the shops now, a guide price if £4.50 + post, and the web has quite a lot of other reviews for it

The makers own You Tube is at

and the Military Modelling review is at

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/perfect-plastic-putty/10733 < Link To http://www.militarymodell...ct-plastic-putty/10733

I like it.

Yours Peter.
I've just found this putty and thought I'd share only to find its already been recommended.

I've now used it on a couple of things and have no problem recommending it, not cheap but does the required job, so for me it's worth the cost.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
One of the things, I found in the 2018 bag of bits..
I wonder if it will still be any good? :worried:

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Having used this a couple of years ago, being acrylic it is water soluble, and I found after letting it harden when rubbing with wet and dry (wetted) it dissolved. I tried again only this time leaving for a couple of days, still the same result. However in our scale w&d is not always required, and with a reasonable primer worked well. So for me mixed results and mixed review.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've never got on well with Milliput, but this stuff works nicely for me, to fill in those little gaps after bashing butchery. Certainly seems happy with acrylic spray and enamel brush painting.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Having used this a couple of years ago, being acrylic it is water soluble, and I found after letting it harden when rubbing with wet and dry (wetted) it dissolved. I tried again only this time leaving for a couple of days, still the same result. However in our scale w&d is not always required, and with a reasonable primer worked well. So for me mixed results and mixed review.
Thanks, noted, sand with dry sanding paper.

I used it for the first time on Sunday on a coach roof. Sunday evening it seemed dry so I lightly drafted a fine file over the area with filler, then I used some emery paper on a wood block and I am very happy with things this morning.

I’m planning to paint over the roof later today.

So far I prefer this over milliput simply because it’s cleaner to use with less waste.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I've never got on well with Milliput, but this stuff works nicely for me, to fill in those little gaps after bashing butchery. Certainly seems happy with acrylic spray and enamel brush painting.
Thanks, noted, sand with dry sanding paper.

I used it for the first time on Sunday on a coach roof. Sunday evening it seemed dry so I lightly drafted a fine file over the area with filler, then I used some emery paper on a wood block and I am very happy with things this morning.

I’m planning to paint over the roof later today.

So far I prefer this over milliput simply because it’s cleaner to use with less waste.
Have to agree for ordinary filling Milliput is hard work, however, I have, and do use Revell Plasto, which seems to be solvent based.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Have to agree for ordinary filling Milliput is hard work, however, I have, and do use Revell Plasto, which seems to be solvent based.
That looks very similar to the old humbrol filler I used in days gone by.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have found that Milliput goes off (hard) in the tube over time so when ever I need it it’s no good. So my filler of choice these days is Car Body 2 part or Wicks wood filler also a 2 part that is much of a muchness to the car stuff.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is people try to use "skim" fillers, like the De Luxe product for deep filling and "two pack" deep fillers for skim work. Milliput, in its various grades can be used as a deep filler but is really intended as a model making putty or repair medium. Great for creating new limbs and model details. And yes, it does harden over time, even in its separated form, but will remain usable. Auto body two packs, as suggested by Jon, are great for filling deep imperfections but will need a skim filler top coat (it will always leave an "edge") and possibly filler primer to give a perfect finish for painting. Max